Re: Need some sewing guidance... turret/pillbox hats

  • Emmie
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 4, 2006
      I tried this site back in Aug 05... using bable fish to translate. I
      was in my first month in the SCA and I was JUST learning to sew. I
      have it partially finished in my sewing trunk... my translation was a
      bit off... so it looked like a short chef's toque, lol. I posted what
      I consider my first successful attempt in my photo a;bum for the group
      (the pins are no longer in the hat though, lol.)

      YIS,

      Elisabeth Hänsel
    • Emmie
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 4, 2006
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Laura Morgan
        <valkerie1000@...> wrote:

        > you know, I always suspected that those frilled "hats" were made
        the same way that "gopherred veils" are thought by some to be
        made...with a woven edge that frilled by itself.

        IMHO, yes, with other culture like the English and French that was
        true. THe hats found in the Codex though, I believe that was some
        typ of cording or a braid. Though I am curious of the wool ruffle
        Elyn mentioned. I posted some pictures from some German art from
        near the time era that show decorated fillets that appear to be
        cording. THere are also a few folios from the Manesse Codex, to
        include one that shows a gopherred veil. It looks very different
        than the "pork pie hats" do. Again, just MHO.

        YIS,

        Elisabeth Hänsel
      • SilverLoon2001@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 4, 2006
          << you know, I always suspected that those frilled "hats" were made the same
          way that "gopherred veils" are thought by some to be made...with a woven edge
          that frilled by itself. That might be why some of them have a wavy top edge
          and some didn't. depended on how the cloth was woven. >>

          That is certainly a possibility. I have tended to think the ones in the
          Manesse Codex might be a separate frill because of the distinct line between "cap"
          and "frill" shown in each example.

          Hmmm. Something else to ponder -- thank you!

          ~ Hedewigis.
        • SilverLoon2001@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 4, 2006
            << I posted some pictures from some German art from
            near the time era that show decorated fillets that appear to be
            cording. ... Elisabeth Hänsel >>

            Thank you for the additions, especially for "The Visitation." I had tried to
            get to New York to see it in person, but plans did not work out as well as I
            had hoped. Your picture is a much higher resolution than I had found before.
            Is the entire photo on-line?

            Your own first attempt really has the "stuffed" appearance of the original MS
            illuminations. Now I can see why the Communitas Monacensis added cording.
            What did you use?

            In service,
            ~ Hedewigis.
          • Emmie
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 4, 2006
              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, SilverLoon2001@... wrote:

              > Is the entire photo on-line?

              You bet! I found it at the Met website. (BTW, that is one of my
              favorite pieces. I love the trim on it.)

              > What did you use?

              Cotton cord/stuffing that is used for making those stuffed edges in
              pillows and such.... stuff into a linen tube. It was difficult to
              manipulate. This time I am trying a tubular plait-braided linen cord.

              YIS,

              Elisabeth
            • hawkhurstmanor@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 6, 2006
                MODERATOR NOTE:
                PLEASE DO NOT TOP-POST
                THANK YOU

                What evidence if any, is there of hats similar to this being made of felt? I am always unsure when trying to replicate a picture as to what textile is actually being shown. And as you know, there is not always text to explain the lovely illustrations. Sometimes it seems like a choice between what would likely have been readily available and what might have been available to a person of perhaps a high status (read that, more money and access to imported goods) wearing it. I have come to a point where I may try several materials and simply wear the best replication, or all of them if they please me and look good.

                Elyn
              • Guenievre de Monmarche
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 6, 2006

                  > What evidence if any, is there of hats similar to this being made of
                  > felt? I am always unsure when trying to replicate a picture as to what
                  > textile is actually being shown. And as you know, there is not always
                  > text to explain the lovely illustrations. Sometimes it seems like a
                  > choice between what would likely have been readily available and what
                  > might have been available to a person of perhaps a high status (read
                  > that, more money and access to imported goods) wearing it. I have come
                  > to a point where I may try several materials and simply wear the best
                  > replication, or all of them if they please me and look good.
                  >
                  > Elyn

                  I haven't been following this thread until the felt thing came up, so I'm
                  not sure what time period you're thinking and this might be a bit late for
                  you, but there is at least one 14th century extant felt hat that I know of -
                  it was concealed in a church and is on exhibition in a little museum in
                  England. Some details about it are found here:
                  http://search.concealedgarments.org/results.jsp?view=detail&pos=1&id=1553

                  So obviously felt was being used for hats, even if it can't be proven that
                  it was used for the "pillbox" type hats.

                  Guenièvre
                • Emmie
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 6, 2006
                    --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "hawkhurstmanor@..."
                    <hawkhurstmanor@...> wrote:
                    > What evidence if any, is there of hats similar to this being made
                    of felt?

                    I have not found any, yet. I am planning on getting in touch with a
                    couple of German groups I found online. There are some sources that
                    seem to be more readily available there (in Germany/Europe) than what
                    we have here. That gets a little annoying in research. There might
                    be in later period... the Germans and there interesting hats. Could
                    the "pork pie hat" been the start of a morph in the unique German hats
                    we see later on?

                    Elisabeth
                  • hawkhurstmanor@yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 6, 2006
                      MODERATOR NOTE:
                      PLEASE DO NOT TOP-POST
                      CUT OUT THE PREVIOUS POST BEFORE SENDING YOUR MESSAGE TO THE GROUP
                      THANK YOU

                      Thank you....I appreciate the info very much.
                      Elyn
                    • TudorLdy@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 6, 2006
                        >> "gopherred veils"

                        My lady, if I can offer you a gentle correction, the correct term is
                        'gauffered'. A spelling variant frequently seen is 'goffered'.

                        A ruffled edge does not frill itself (that I know of), but the crimping
                        is done by a hot gauffering iron. I do know this practice is applied
                        to ruffs, I do not know specifically if it is applied to the cap in
                        question, as this is somewhat earlier than my period, and I have not
                        examined the pictures being discussed.

                        However, a pillbox cap is *not difficult*. Unless one is interested in
                        doing millinery from the ground up (inasmuch as the original poster
                        stated that she has only intermediate sewing experience), consider that
                        fabric stores that have bridal departments frequently have buckram hat
                        forms. A pillbox is pretty basic, and not hard to find. For a first
                        attempt, no one would fault her for using a commercially made form as
                        the base, and concentrating more on the details of 'making it period'.

                        In service,
                        Elizabeth Blackdane
                      • Emmie
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 6, 2006
                          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, TudorLdy@... wrote:
                          > However, a pillbox cap is *not difficult*. Unless one is interested
                          >in doing millinery from the ground up (inasmuch as the original
                          >poster stated that she has only intermediate sewing experience),
                          >consider that abric stores that have bridal departments frequently
                          >have buckram hat forms.

                          Actually, I am very interested in millinery from the ground up. Yes,
                          my sewing skills are not the best, but I see it as an opportunity for
                          self-improvement : ) With that in mind I intend on using 2-3 layers
                          of a heavy linen in the place of buckram (a suggestion given from the
                          SCA_Milliners Yahoo Group.) Thank you for your suggestion though. I
                          will keep it in mind if I get too frustrated with the project.

                          YIS,

                          Elisabeth Hänsel
                        • Emmie
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 27, 2006
                            Whew! I finally finished my German Toque! It is not perfect, but
                            it truly was a learning experience with making pill-box style hats.
                            It is medium weight linen with a heavy duty (canvas type) linen
                            acting in the stead of buckram. It is hand sewn with linen thread.
                            The braid is a 6 piece braid with linen threads. (that was the most
                            tedious part.) The entire project was filled with firsts for me:
                            making a hat with a crown, medieval braiding and hand-sewing
                            anything that did not look like a 3 year old made it ; )

                            I am pleased, but I know I have a ways to go. The picture shows the
                            seam in order to get any needed constructive comments.

                            YIS,

                            Elisabeth Hänsel