Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Need some sewing guidance... turret/pillbox hats and buttons

  • hawkhurstmanor@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 3, 2006
      Elisabeth, I hope all this helps..... I started with the concept of the sailor hat....I made the pill box much as you wrote, then I added the side panel/flap, sewing it on at the bottom after it was layered, stiffened and scalloped. I measured the circumference of the hat and added about an inch, and cut that with a very tiny angle which was intended to put some space between the sides of the hat and the outer scalloped band. I know that sounds like a lot, but when you add stiffening to the outer band plus the layers of linen it does add considerably to the circumference. Also, what I used for stiffening was not buckram, primarily because I could not lay hands on any at the time, and therein probably lies my problem with the little scallops bending at their junction. And, no, I did not make it wider at the top. Jackie Kennedy would probably have been proud of the resemblance to a 60's pillbox hat, but I doubt she would have gone for the scallops.

      Now, moving on to version two....in the Manesse it sometimes looks very like the scalloped piece is actually not cut in a scallop but more like it is stretched as one would making a ruffle out of felt. I have been toying with this concept and am finding that it does work very nicely with a little patience and attention to repetition. I hope to make some white felt soon and try this with the hand made version to see how it stretches. I don't know that I have seen any direction to the materials originally used, and would be most grateful for any information if anyone has it.

      I would love to see what you come up with.
      Elyn

    • Emmie
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3, 2006
        I'm not going to use buckram... I have a heavy linen canvas to use in
        its place. I would love to see your end result with the wool. I plan
        on starting my braid tonight/ this weekend. I will post a picture
        when it is complete - as long as it is not a complete diseaster : )

        Elisabeth
      • hawkhurstmanor@yahoo.com