Re: [Authentic_SCA] Need some sewing guidance... turret/pillbox hats and buttons

  • hawkhurstmanor@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 3, 2006
      MODERATOR NOTE:
      PLEASE DO NOT TOP-POST
      THANK YOU

      I made one of the scalloped pillbox hats last year and had an interesting time with it. I did make a pattern off the final product. (Some of my friends call it my Jughead hat). I ended up cutting the outside layer longer than the actual piece that was the side of the pillbox. I also did all of it by hand the final time and found that helped a lot in being able to adjust as I went. I still have a bit of a problem making the scallops stay exactly where I want them. Do you have any specific questions about the process??

      Yours,
      Elyn de Hauocmore
    • Emmie
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3, 2006
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "hawkhurstmanor@..."
        <hawkhurstmanor@...> wrote:
        >Do you have any specific questions about the process??

        Elyn,

        Do I ever have questions. You partially answered part of it when
        you discussed the side being longer. I want to make sure I am not
        off base and that I am visualizing this properly. I was having
        issues with just my practice one without scallops. I have been
        working under the assumption that it is a four part item:

        1. 1-3 layers heavy linen as a stiffened lining (period = to
        buckram) for the scalloped sides/ring.

        2. 1-3 layers heavy linen as a stiffened lining (period = to
        buckram) for top circle piece.

        3. Layer linen that covers the "buckram" on the outside of the
        scalloped sides/ring.

        4. Layer linen that covers the "buckram" on the outside of the
        tope circle piece.

        Make the "ring" or sides as if you are constructing a fillet. Sew
        circle onto top just below the creases of the scallops. (I did a
        sketch drawing, because I simply stink at trying to explain how I
        think this is suppose to look.)

        http://elisabethscompendium.org/MannesseCodexTurret.JPG

        The question come in with did you make it wider towards the top or
        the same all the way up like these from the Naumberg Cathedral?
        http://elisabethscompendium.org/1naumb02.jpg
        http://elisabethscompendium.org/1naumb04.jpg

        I was thinking straight... but I was not sure. I am sewing a
        braid/cord along the scallop to get a 3 dimensional look like in the
        codex. Thank you any help or guidance that may be offered.

        YIS,

        Elisabeth Hänsel
      • hawkhurstmanor@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3, 2006
          Elisabeth, I hope all this helps..... I started with the concept of the sailor hat....I made the pill box much as you wrote, then I added the side panel/flap, sewing it on at the bottom after it was layered, stiffened and scalloped. I measured the circumference of the hat and added about an inch, and cut that with a very tiny angle which was intended to put some space between the sides of the hat and the outer scalloped band. I know that sounds like a lot, but when you add stiffening to the outer band plus the layers of linen it does add considerably to the circumference. Also, what I used for stiffening was not buckram, primarily because I could not lay hands on any at the time, and therein probably lies my problem with the little scallops bending at their junction. And, no, I did not make it wider at the top. Jackie Kennedy would probably have been proud of the resemblance to a 60's pillbox hat, but I doubt she would have gone for the scallops.

          Now, moving on to version two....in the Manesse it sometimes looks very like the scalloped piece is actually not cut in a scallop but more like it is stretched as one would making a ruffle out of felt. I have been toying with this concept and am finding that it does work very nicely with a little patience and attention to repetition. I hope to make some white felt soon and try this with the hand made version to see how it stretches. I don't know that I have seen any direction to the materials originally used, and would be most grateful for any information if anyone has it.

          I would love to see what you come up with.
          Elyn

        • Emmie
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 3, 2006
            I'm not going to use buckram... I have a heavy linen canvas to use in
            its place. I would love to see your end result with the wool. I plan
            on starting my braid tonight/ this weekend. I will post a picture
            when it is complete - as long as it is not a complete diseaster : )

            Elisabeth
          • hawkhurstmanor@yahoo.com