Re: What books do you rely on the most?

  • Beth and Bob Matney
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 2, 2006
      >Here is a question for the group. What are your favorite/ most
      >important books to go to when you are constructing a
      >garment/hat/pouch?
      >YIS,
      >Elisabeth Hänsel

      My answer: It depends on what I'm doing at the time. My husband's personna
      is set (barely) within the Ottoman Empire. For me, I do stuff all over
      Europe and throughout the SCA time period, depending on my mood and what
      friends need. I rely heavily on archeology reports and extant garments.

      You can see our Costume books at:
      http://www.librarything.com/catalog.php?tag=costume&view=Castlegrounds

      Textiles at:
      http://www.librarything.com/catalog.php?tag=textiles&view=Castlegrounds

      Archaeology at:
      http://www.librarything.com/catalog.php?tag=archaeology&view=Castlegrounds

      I will eventually get all the collection online, but it will be awhile.

      Beth of Walnutvale
    • Katherine Throckmorton
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 2, 2006
        Elisabeth wrote:
        > > Here is a question for the group. What are your favorite/ most
        > > important books to go to when you are constructing a
        > > garment/hat/pouch?

        It depends on the season. My September-February persona is 16th century and English and for dressing Katherine I tend to use a combination of _Patterns of Fashion_ by Janet Arnold and _The Well-Dressed Peasant_ by Drea Leed. March-August I still do 16th century, but my persona is Indian. For dressing Asma I tend to rely on a combination of books on Deccani Art and _Saris:An Illustrated Guide to the Art of Indian Draping_ by Chantal Boulanger. The latter isn't really "historical" per se, but has excellent instructions for draping a large number of different saris and is invaluble when reconstructing historical styles.

        -Asma/Katherine

      • Emmie
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 3, 2006
          Thank you to all. I will add my books this weekend.

          YIS,

          Elisabeth Hänsel