What books do you rely on the most?

  • Emmie
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 2, 2006
      Here is a question for the group. What are your favorite/ most
      important books to go to when you are constructing a
      garment/hat/pouch? I am working on building my "library" of research
      resources. I about to move to Korea for a year where the resources
      are limited. So, I am just curious as to what others see as helpful.

      YIS,
      Elisabeth Hänsel
    • J. May
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 2, 2006
        Shirley Guthrie _Arab Social Life_

        Yedida Stillman _Arab Dress_

        Gervers, Veronika. "Medieval Garments in the Mediterranean World." In _Cloth
        and Clothing in Medieval Europe_, ed. N.B. Harte and K.G. Ponting, pp.
        270-315. Pasold Studies in Textile History, vol. 2. London: Heinemann
        Educational Books, 1983.

        J.L. Sebesta, L. Bonfante, _The World of Roman Costume_. Madison, WI: The
        University of Wisconsin Press, 2001. Pp. xviii, 272. ISBN 0-299-13854-2.

        Judith Herrin. _Women in Purple: Rulers of Medieval Byzantium_

        Ioli Kalavrezou _Byzantine Women and Their World_

        _______
        Would you be willing to share your collection on this lists web page?
        Samia
      • Alexis
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 2, 2006
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Emmie" <elisabeth.hansel@...>
          wrote:

          > Here is a question for the group. What are your favorite/ most
          > important books to go to when you are constructing a
          > garment/hat/pouch? I am working on building my "library" of
          research
          > resources. I about to move to Korea for a year where the resources
          > are limited. So, I am just curious as to what others see as helpful.
          >
          > YIS,
          > Elisabeth Hänsel

          Woven into the Earth-Ostergard
          NESAT 1-7
          Textiles & Clothing - Crowfoot
          Dress in Angle-Saxon England - Owen Crocker

          Pls remember that I am a textile geek and early period is very
          different from later period.

          Yis,
          Cassandra
        • Amy Heilveil
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 2, 2006
            Yes, please put books into the groups bookshelf.

            Go to the groups website, on the left there is a column of items - choose
            Database. The third choice is "Reading List", please enter information on
            your books there for all to be able to reference at a later date without
            having to search through the archives.

            Smiles,
            Despina de la loves when more books are added

          • Beth and Bob Matney
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 2, 2006
              >Here is a question for the group. What are your favorite/ most
              >important books to go to when you are constructing a
              >garment/hat/pouch?
              >YIS,
              >Elisabeth Hänsel

              My answer: It depends on what I'm doing at the time. My husband's personna
              is set (barely) within the Ottoman Empire. For me, I do stuff all over
              Europe and throughout the SCA time period, depending on my mood and what
              friends need. I rely heavily on archeology reports and extant garments.

              You can see our Costume books at:
              http://www.librarything.com/catalog.php?tag=costume&view=Castlegrounds

              Textiles at:
              http://www.librarything.com/catalog.php?tag=textiles&view=Castlegrounds

              Archaeology at:
              http://www.librarything.com/catalog.php?tag=archaeology&view=Castlegrounds

              I will eventually get all the collection online, but it will be awhile.

              Beth of Walnutvale
            • Katherine Throckmorton
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 2, 2006
                Elisabeth wrote:
                > > Here is a question for the group. What are your favorite/ most
                > > important books to go to when you are constructing a
                > > garment/hat/pouch?

                It depends on the season. My September-February persona is 16th century and English and for dressing Katherine I tend to use a combination of _Patterns of Fashion_ by Janet Arnold and _The Well-Dressed Peasant_ by Drea Leed. March-August I still do 16th century, but my persona is Indian. For dressing Asma I tend to rely on a combination of books on Deccani Art and _Saris:An Illustrated Guide to the Art of Indian Draping_ by Chantal Boulanger. The latter isn't really "historical" per se, but has excellent instructions for draping a large number of different saris and is invaluble when reconstructing historical styles.

                -Asma/Katherine

              • Emmie
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 3, 2006
                  Thank you to all. I will add my books this weekend.

                  YIS,

                  Elisabeth Hänsel