Re: [Authentic_SCA] Patterns of Fashion?

  • RON CARNEGIE
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2006
      Most certainly. People love to bash her, but these works are very useful. They are some of the most important books on period clothing out there, though limited in their period scope.

      Ranald de Balinhard

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2, 2006
        There are some inconsistencies in her books, there are some things she just
        gets wrong, there are somethings on which she speculates and doesn't make
        entirely clear that she's speculating.

        On the whole though, she's better than a multitude of other
        authors/researchers and published works which could be named; many of which
        have been published in the last decade, well after Ms. Arnold's work.

        Purchase it, you will not be sorry to have such a reference.

        Smiles,
        Despina de la doesn't own it but someday.....

      • Laura Morgan
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 2, 2006
          Nobody is perfect. Janet A. was no exception, but she was able to get in and photograph extant garments and did her best to get that info out to the general costuming and historical textile public.

          I think actually that bashing someone as famous as her makes people feel good about themselves. Being classified as an "expert" makes you a target. She did alot to help those who research the clothing of the later periods with her books.

          Laura
        • HL Damiana la Roja
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 3, 2006

            I'm a proud owner of "Patterns of Fashion". If they are valuable for
            anything at all, it is for the pictures of extant garments she's gotten. I
            would buy the book for that reason alone.

            Damiana

            --
            Doña Damiana la Roja, AoA, JdL, GdS, Order of the Golden Galleon, Order of
            the Gilded Dinghy