Patterns of Fashion?

  • roisinaisolde
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2006
      I have heard good and bad things about Janet Arnold's books. Are they
      worth buying?

      Also, thanks to everyone for being so helpful with all my questions.
      Being new to this, I'm still learning.

      Roisina
    • kittencat3@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2, 2006
        Janet Arnold is THE expert on Elizabethan clothing. Buy the book.

        Sarah Davies

      • RON CARNEGIE
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 2, 2006
          Most certainly. People love to bash her, but these works are very useful. They are some of the most important books on period clothing out there, though limited in their period scope.

          Ranald de Balinhard

          I have heard good and bad things about Janet Arnold's books. Are they
          worth buying?

          Also, thanks to everyone for being so helpful with all my questions.
          Being new to this, I'm still learning.

          Roisina

          This is the Authentic SCA eGroup

          Free credit history Credit history repair Credit history score

        • Amy Heilveil
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 2, 2006
            There are some inconsistencies in her books, there are some things she just
            gets wrong, there are somethings on which she speculates and doesn't make
            entirely clear that she's speculating.

            On the whole though, she's better than a multitude of other
            authors/researchers and published works which could be named; many of which
            have been published in the last decade, well after Ms. Arnold's work.

            Purchase it, you will not be sorry to have such a reference.

            Smiles,
            Despina de la doesn't own it but someday.....

          • Laura Morgan
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 2, 2006
              Nobody is perfect. Janet A. was no exception, but she was able to get in and photograph extant garments and did her best to get that info out to the general costuming and historical textile public.

              I think actually that bashing someone as famous as her makes people feel good about themselves. Being classified as an "expert" makes you a target. She did alot to help those who research the clothing of the later periods with her books.

              Laura
            • HL Damiana la Roja
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 3, 2006

                I'm a proud owner of "Patterns of Fashion". If they are valuable for
                anything at all, it is for the pictures of extant garments she's gotten. I
                would buy the book for that reason alone.

                Damiana

                --
                Doña Damiana la Roja, AoA, JdL, GdS, Order of the Golden Galleon, Order of
                the Gilded Dinghy