Re: Period way to prevent fabric fraying?

  • Kimberly Winrotte
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2006
      > Message: 1
      > Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 21:29:08 -0000
      > From: "roisinaisolde" <roisina@...>
      > Subject: Period way to prevent fabric freying?
      >
      > Can someone suggest some period ways to prevent
      > fabric freying?
      > Normally I would use Freycheck.
      >
      > I am making a medieval underdress in linen.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Roisina.

      Flat felling the seam allowance would be one way or
      using a french seam. One way that I do it if I want
      something to be super period is to dip all the raw
      edges in melted beeswax. That was the period
      equivalent to Fraycheck. But beware: if you do this
      only wash it cold or warm and only use the dryer if
      you are using low or no heat. Hope this helps.

      Yamina

      http://mail.yahoo.com