Re: Period way to prevent fabric freying?

  • kareina@inthe.sca.org
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
      It may not be quite as useful in linen, but I have enjoyed playing with
      the technique mentioned in _Woven into the Earth_, which may be called
      "singling" (my copy of the book is at home, so I'm relying on my less than
      perfect memory for names), which the archaeologists didn't discover until
      the light hit the stitches just right while they were examining the edges
      of the fabric under the microscope.

      If I recall correctly, that was worked on wool, and the stitching ran in
      an undulating pattern along the edge of the fabric, effectively holding
      the outermost thread both to the ones next to it, but also to the ones
      which intersect it.

      I tried this once on a nice herringbone twill wool I'd been given, and
      then machine-washed and dried it before cutting out the tunic, and there
      was no fraying whatsoever, despite the fact that before I did the
      stitching the fabric looked like it would be easy to fray.

      --Kareina

      Roisina wrote:

      > Can someone suggest some period ways to prevent fabric freying?
      > Normally I would use Freycheck.
      >
      > I am making a medieval underdress in linen.
    • kelyn_of_broceliande
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 4, 2006
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Heather Rose Jones
        <heather.jones@...> wrote:
        > Someone's already pointed you at my web article on seams in
        surviving
        > period textiles. To summarize: seams in linen garments in
        period
        > were overwhelmingly finished in such a way that there were no raw
        > edges. Methods could include flat felled seams, seams covered by
        > "tape" with the edges folded under, or seams formed by turning
        each
        > edge into a rolled or turned "hem", and then overcasting the edges
        of
        > these hems together.
        >
        > Tangwystyl

        Ah-ha! This is EXACTLY what I wanted to ask about. So glad that I
        found this post the very day I joined this group (not long after
        reading your article on seams, which I found useful, too). I'm
        about to start work on a 5th-century "Roman-era Brit" tunic for a
        friend, and this is NOT my usual period at all, so I don't know what
        sort of seams -- and seam finishes -- are right. I prefer to finish
        seams by folding each seam allowance over and hemming, but I don't
        know if this is right, and as the friend in question has
        specifically requested something of "Living History" quality (and I
        am SO glad that someone finally wants that, instead of telling me
        that I'm wasting my time when "zipping it together on a serger"
        would do well enough, 'cause it won't!)... Anyway... Please, can
        you tell me if hemming down each seam allowance is right for a 5th
        century man's tunic, or should I do something else?