Re: [Authentic_SCA] Period way to prevent fabric freying?

  • Tiffany Brown
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 28, 2006
      Definately read the article. Assuming you want a certain ammount of
      speed, and mostly to handsew, I can think of a few ways to get a
      fairly good mimic of period seams:
      *machine sew construction seams, and then handsew the edges down (seam
      finishing). This is easier than handsewing the whole garment - the
      part you are handsewing is under less stress (matters less if your
      sewing is poor), and you can make sure the garment fits before doing
      the slower handsewing.
      *What i was introduced to as "french seams" - sew the garment right
      way out (ie wrong sides together- opposite of normal), trim seams to a
      neat ammount (say 3mm-5mm) then turn it inside out (right sides
      together) and carefully sew again, sewing the seam edge into teh bit
      you've jsut sewn. It's not an exact mimic, but it's a lot closer
      looking to period than overlockers (which are very useful too).
      *machine sew a jeans style seam. You might want a very sturdy or
      industrial machine to do this.
      *bind seams with bias binding. I think this seams to have been done
      mostly on trouble (difficult to sew or higher stress), spots in period
      (with straight grain tape, not bais, but it looks fairly similar), so
      you could just use it on tricky spots, or do the whole garment with
      it. You probably want extra wide bias binding, not the standard thin
      stuff. (it does exist)

      Don't be put off trying handsewing, (some find it relaxing, others
      aggrivating) but I'm figuring smaller steps is better. It's a bit
      hard to concentrate on handsewing when you have nothing to wear, and
      it's very disheartening to unpick a garment that you've handsewn for
      hours. I found starting by handsewing first visible hems, then
      flat-felling seams, then completely handsewing a pouch, gave me a few
      nice steps to improve my sewing before embarking on whole garments
      handsewn. (and my second garment took half as long as the first). It
      also helped that I had made a few garments in the style and was
      fairly confident that I wouldn't need to adjust the pattern.

      Also, remember that for overgarments, wool had the advantage of being
      able to be fulled (felted), so that only minimal seam inishing was
      needed. This is certainly one of the advantages of making woolen
      garments, rather than deciding linen would be cooler, or cotton
      cheaper.

      Teffania

      On 3/1/06, Heather Rose Jones <heather.jones@...> wrote:

      > On Feb 28, 2006, at 1:29 PM, roisinaisolde wrote:
      >
      > > Can someone suggest some period ways to prevent fabric freying?
      > > Normally I would use Freycheck.
      > >
      > > I am making a medieval underdress in linen.
      >
      > Someone's already pointed you at my web article on seams in surviving
      > period textiles. To summarize: seams in linen garments in period
      > were overwhelmingly finished in such a way that there were no raw
      > edges. Methods could include flat felled seams, seams covered by a
      > "tape" with the edges folded under, or seams formed by turning each
      > edge into a rolled or turned "hem", and then overcasting the edges of
      > these hems together.
      >
      > Tangwystyl
      >
      > --
      > Heather Rose Jones
      > heather.jones@...
      > http://www.heatherrosejones.com
      > LJ:hrj

    • roisinaisolde
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
        Thank you for your replies. I am very grateful.

        Roisina
      • kareina@inthe.sca.org
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
          It may not be quite as useful in linen, but I have enjoyed playing with
          the technique mentioned in _Woven into the Earth_, which may be called
          "singling" (my copy of the book is at home, so I'm relying on my less than
          perfect memory for names), which the archaeologists didn't discover until
          the light hit the stitches just right while they were examining the edges
          of the fabric under the microscope.

          If I recall correctly, that was worked on wool, and the stitching ran in
          an undulating pattern along the edge of the fabric, effectively holding
          the outermost thread both to the ones next to it, but also to the ones
          which intersect it.

          I tried this once on a nice herringbone twill wool I'd been given, and
          then machine-washed and dried it before cutting out the tunic, and there
          was no fraying whatsoever, despite the fact that before I did the
          stitching the fabric looked like it would be easy to fray.

          --Kareina

          Roisina wrote:

          > Can someone suggest some period ways to prevent fabric freying?
          > Normally I would use Freycheck.
          >
          > I am making a medieval underdress in linen.
        • kelyn_of_broceliande
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 4, 2006
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Heather Rose Jones
            <heather.jones@...> wrote:
            > Someone's already pointed you at my web article on seams in
            surviving
            > period textiles. To summarize: seams in linen garments in
            period
            > were overwhelmingly finished in such a way that there were no raw
            > edges. Methods could include flat felled seams, seams covered by
            > "tape" with the edges folded under, or seams formed by turning
            each
            > edge into a rolled or turned "hem", and then overcasting the edges
            of
            > these hems together.
            >
            > Tangwystyl

            Ah-ha! This is EXACTLY what I wanted to ask about. So glad that I
            found this post the very day I joined this group (not long after
            reading your article on seams, which I found useful, too). I'm
            about to start work on a 5th-century "Roman-era Brit" tunic for a
            friend, and this is NOT my usual period at all, so I don't know what
            sort of seams -- and seam finishes -- are right. I prefer to finish
            seams by folding each seam allowance over and hemming, but I don't
            know if this is right, and as the friend in question has
            specifically requested something of "Living History" quality (and I
            am SO glad that someone finally wants that, instead of telling me
            that I'm wasting my time when "zipping it together on a serger"
            would do well enough, 'cause it won't!)... Anyway... Please, can
            you tell me if hemming down each seam allowance is right for a 5th
            century man's tunic, or should I do something else?