Re: illumination for garb inspiration-Jewish lady of 1300...

  • willo
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 8, 2006
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, NINacide@... wrote:

      > The only thing that I know about jewish garb in that time and period is that
      > men wore tunics that were black or dark blue, it was much longer than the
      > kind of tunic a christian would wear, he would wear an orange fabric hat to
      > signify that he was jewish, and also a star of david on his clothes where it
      > could be seen (Hitler didn't invent that idea appearantly).

      Jews were definitely required to wear badges (sometimes stars of David, sometimes other
      shapes) in some times and places, but they varied widely based upon geography and who
      was directly governing them. Enforcement varied just as widely.

      These images are meant for Jews, and are almost certainly made by Jews. A hagaddah
      would be used at home in a religious context.

      Even if Jews on the street were wearing the badge, or yellow hats, or only certain colors,
      they may well have saved their "best" clothes (which may well have been without degrading
      "status" indicators) for this special holiday and use at home.

      My research into my own persona suggests to me that yellow veils were mandated, though
      not always enforced, for Jewish women in Spain in the 13th century.

      --Joya
      (mka willo, who might wear a yellow veil at events as she is proud of her Jewish affiliation,
      but who probably will never choose to wear a badge unless actively involved in a teaching
      situation that demands it)
    • Sarah Michele Ford
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 8, 2006
        On 2/8/06, willo <willolevin@...> wrote:
        > (mka willo, who might wear a yellow veil at events as she is proud of her
        > Jewish affiliation,
        > but who probably will never choose to wear a badge unless actively involved
        > in a teaching
        > situation that demands it)

        Matatias expressly chose his time period (late 12th to early 13th
        century England) to avoid having to confront this issue. I don't
        remember exact dates, but towards the mid-1200s (maybe beginning
        around 1215 or 1220?) in England was one of the times/places when Jews
        were required to wear badges.

        He also chose his persona in order to reconcile his modern
        unwillingness to bow to royalty with his persona. It's prompted some
        interesting conversations with various Crowns, that's for sure, and
        many opportunities for him to educate various folks about both modern
        and medieval Judaism.

        Alianor