Re: [Authentic_SCA] horn inkwells

  • cathal@mindspring.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 8, 2006

      >I am in search of information on horn inkwells of the
      >type typically seen in 15th and 16th century
      >illustrations. At least one was found on the Mary Rose
      >wreck as well. Specifically, I'm wondering if these
      >inkwells were mould made. I have period recipes
      >explaining how to work and heat horn to the point it
      >can be poured into moulds, but not being a horn person
      >have no idea if it possible, let alone was done for
      >these inkwells.

      I have a penner, a pen case with attached inkwell that loops over a belt, that was made by a craftsman in England. It's based on an existant piece which is a shaped roundel of horn with the center carved out and a stopper of horn and cloth (to make the fit close) for the ink.

      Cathal.
    • KATROUS
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 9, 2006
        > I have a penner, a pen case with attached inkwell that loops over a
        belt, that was made by a craftsman in England. It's based on an
        existant piece which is a shaped roundel of horn with the center
        carved out and a stopper of horn and cloth (to make the fit close) for
        the ink.

        > Cathal.

        Do you have contact information for the maker? I am very jealous, by
        the way, I wish I had a penner set!
      • cathal@mindspring.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 9, 2006

          >Do you have contact information for the maker? I am very jealous, by
          >the way, I wish I had a penner set!

          Sadly, no. The company was called "Castle Collections" and the fellow who owned it held a montly reenactors crafts faire at his home at Old Bute Castle, Northumberland. He went from the monthly faires to a mail-order business through which he brokered the wares of about fifty separate craftspeople. He was a better host than business man and fell afoul of the tran-ocean shipping snares after about two years in operation.

          I still have his catalogues. They are quite useful in and of themselves. He offered complete garb sets for both men and women from the late 900's through the English Civil War with very clear scaled line drawings of the components, shoes, belts, etc.

          My favorite item from him was a reproduction of a 14th century pewter pen. The nib is sectioned like an orange with the indented sides being the reservoir for the ink. You charge the pen and then hold it upright on the page with a slight angle toward which ever slice of ink you want to use. It takes some practice to use effectively; however it finally makes sense of the odd hand placement you sometimes see in ms.

          Cathal.
        • julian wilson
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 9, 2006
            Gentles of The List,
            this humble soldier would also be much interested in obtaining a horn inkwell and a penner Set for my Chatelaine, Madame Alys Vitel De Ploubazlanec'

            Since she expressed a desire this year to begin calligraphy again, but re-enacting the Craft at our re-enactments [instead of doing it with modern - early-1950's - equipment in a School Art Class under the stern tutalage of Catholic Nuns] - I have recently gifted her with most of the necessaries, - but so far a supplier for a suitable inkwell has not come to my conysaunce. You may view the equipment I have made and obtained for Madame Alys, by Art Majyck at www.dukesleopards.org in the "Artes & Craftes Boke" under "equipment mekynge"

            An' it plese you, if any Gentle wishes a replica of the pen described by My Lady Cathal, I know of a supplier in western Canada who has these in his catalogue - replicas not made from pewter but from bronze.

            Gods' Benisons upon you All, this Feast of St. Nebridius, and after.

            Yours in Service,
            Matthew
            ["Messire Matthew Baker", Governor & Castellan of Jersey, 1486-1497:
            Motto - "Si vis pacem, para bellum" (Trans:-"if you wish for Peace, prepare for War") ]
            aka. - Julian Wilson, - late-medieval Re-enactor; Herald, Historian, & Master Artisan to
            "The Companie of the Duke's Leopards",
            [the Island of "olde" Jersey's only mediæval living-history Group]
            Meet us at < www.dukesleopards.org >"
            [input]
            -

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 9, 2006

              > An' it plese you, if any Gentle wishes a replica of the pen described by My Lady Cathal, I know of a supplier in western Canada who has these in his catalogue - replicas not made from pewter but from bronze.

              Hmmm...I knew I'd been feeling a bit off lately; however I don't think I've undergone quite the change this gentle posits. That or the matter of my certificate of live birth with [male] listed as the gender has been in error these 51 years....;-}

              Cathal.
            • julian wilson
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 9, 2006
                cathal@... wrote:

                Hmmm...I knew I'd been feeling a bit off lately; however I don't think I've undergone quite the change this gentle posits. That or the matter of my certificate of live birth with [male] listed as the gender has been in error these 51 years....;-}

                Cathal.
                Well, the e-mail doesn't give me any clues, neither does the sign-off; - and "Cathal" is not - sadly for me - a name which belongs in any sociological history with which I have acquaintance. Like Lazarus Long, in mitigation of my error "I plead youth & inexperience, and long & service" for the scientific technique we call a WAG. Apologies humbly proffered.

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 9, 2006

                  >Cathal.
                  > Well, the e-mail doesn't give me any clues, neither does the sign-off; - and "Cathal" is not - sadly for me - a name which belongs in any sociological history with which I have acquaintance. Like Lazarus Long, in mitigation of my error "I plead youth & inexperience, and long & service" for the scientific technique we call a WAG. Apologies humbly proffered.

                  No umbrage taken. Your isle is far enough from Ireland to have missed the greater civilizing influence of the Gael and close enough to the French to have suffered from that association...;-} And, as the Foreign Service says, better a wag than a wog.

                  Cathal.
                • julian wilson
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 9, 2006
                    cathal@... wrote:
                    No umbrage taken. Your isle is far enough from Ireland to have missed the greater civilizing influence of the Gael and close enough to the French to have suffered from that association...;-} And, as the Foreign Service says, better a wag than a wog.

                    REPLY
                    Father Andrew Greeley would have it - with considerable historic justification and making a most compelling case in his many books - that we are all of us members of the greater Celtic family - Bretons, Channel Islanders, Cornish folk, the Welsh, the Scots, the Manx, and the Irish.
                    Personally, I am much indepbted to Peter Tremayne for his technicoloured view into the 7th Century Irish civilisation through his "Sister Fidelma" stories. The Church of Rome has much to answer-for, over it's calculated destruction of what was the most-civilised Nation in "Dark Age" Europe.

                    May Mary, Joseph, and Patrick bless your House.