Finishing of square necked smocks

  • Julie Stackable, SCA Margaret Hepburn
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 3, 2006
      Had a quick question - has anyone ever seen up close or seen a study
      of either the square necked smock (acorn embroidery on sleeves) in the
      Manchester Costume Museum or the elaborate one in the V&A? I was
      wondering how the neckline was finished. Are they rolled or faced?
      Toujours a vos ordres,
      Margaret Hepburn
      (please pardon the x-posting)
    • Julie Stackable, SCA Margaret Hepburn
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 3, 2006
          I suggest you look to these photos:
          http://costume.dm.net/va/smocks.html I think this is the smock of which
          you speak when you say the heavily embroidered one in the V&A.

          It's as close as I can get. Mistress Drea, whose website this is from, is
          always good to speak to on details such as this.

          Smiles,
          Despina

        • Julie Stackable, SCA Margaret Hepburn
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 3, 2006
            I have looked at that photo, but am still not sure. I *think* that a
            front facing is tacked on (a lot of clothes of this era are finished
            like this). There is definitely a separate square of embroidery and
            I think this is done as a facing, but without actually having
            examined the chemise it's hard to tell, that's why I was wondering
            if anyone has seen either of them up close. (the other one I refer
            to is pictured in QEWU).
            Toujours a vos ordres,
            Margaret Hepburn
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Amy Heilveil <amyheilveil@...>