Re: Pillow stuffing

  • Eirene Tzimiskina Kontostephanina
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 3, 2006
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, kittencat3@... wrote:

      > Quilts were by and large stuffed with cotton (although linen quilts
      were also
      > stuffed with wool in the 16th century), either rolled flat or
      "flockes" (raw
      > chunks, most likely in trapunto). Not sure about pillows,
      though...what about
      > feathers?

      Feathers *seem* to be likely. But so far I can't find anything that
      would indicate what was contained within any one pillow. I did find a
      Renaissance inventory that listed a "feather bed and bolster" as if
      they were a pair. It might be that the word "feather" described both
      items. Or not.

      I'm focusing on the 14th-15th centuries, btw.

      Lijsbet
    • Eirene Tzimiskina Kontostephanina
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 3, 2006
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, NINacide@... wrote:

        > _http://www.catherineshinn.com/acatalog/antique_pillows.htm_
        > (http://www.catherineshinn.com/acatalog/antique_pillows.htm)
        >
        > "The earliest Pillows were formed wrapped around leaves or straw"
        >
        > Mikhail

        A bit *too* early I'm afraid. ;-)

        Lijsbet
      • Angharad ver' Reynulf
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 3, 2006
          Quilts were by and large stuffed with cotton (although linen quilts were also
          stuffed with wool in the 16th century), either rolled flat or "flockes" (raw
          chunks, most likely in trapunto). Not sure about pillows, though...what about
          feathers?

          Sarah Davies

        • Angharad ver' Reynulf
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 3, 2006
            Apologies on the first message, my enter key was a bit touchy.

            I intended to ask what would be a relatively easy-to-find modern equivalent to the cotton used to stuff the earlier medieval quilts.

            Thank you,

            Angharad ver' Reynulf
          • Terri Morgan
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 3, 2006
              let me begin by stating that late 16th century is not my period. But I am
              re-vamping my first (pathetic) attempt at trous and a jerkin (or maybe a
              doublet this time) for my husband so he won't be out of place at
              Elizabethan-era events and demos. This, of course, led to a discussion about
              what he would like (good Viking that he is) and what I would be willing to
              make. And in the course of the discussion came a question not really
              addressed by "Patterns of Fashion" or QEWU, so far as I could find.
              Was it unusual for a man to have trous of one colour/fabric and a jerkin
              or doublet of another? Paintings seem to indicate that both top and bottom
              were matching yet what I've looked at could well be considered 'cursory'
              compared to those of you who are of later-period personas. I'd like to make
              two trous to every jerkin/doublet so he can work with no fear of having to
              change his entire outfit...

              Hrothny
            • Eirene Tzimiskina Kontostephanina
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 3, 2006
                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Angharad ver' Reynulf
                <dragonwolfcat@...> wrote:

                > Apologies on the first message, my enter key was a bit touchy.
                >
                > I intended to ask what would be a relatively easy-to-find modern
                equivalent to the cotton used to stuff the earlier medieval quilts.

                > Thank you,
                >
                > Angharad ver' Reynulf

                There is quite a bit of cotton batting on the market. Your local
                JoAnns should carry it.

                Lijsbet
              • Eirene Tzimiskina Kontostephanina
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 3, 2006
                  --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, kittencat3@... wrote:
                  <snip>
                  > Not sure about pillows, though...what about
                  > feathers?

                  I can't rule out feathers, but neither can I document their common
                  use. The Paston inventories show that of thirteen pillows only two
                  were remarkable enough to list the contents, that being down. The rest
                  would seem to be common enough that a description of the contents
                  wasn't required.

                  Lijsbet
                • kittencat3@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 3, 2006
                    Two suggestions and a recommendation:

                    For flocking, try either cotton cosmetic puffs or the soft outer layer of a
                    roll of old-fashioned wound cotton. I've tried the latter and it does work,
                    and a lady on the Medieval Quilting tried the former with excellent results.

                    If you want to do flat quilting, use a Harriett Hargraves organic cotton
                    batt. It's marvelous to work with, and can be found pretty easily in quilt shops
                    and online.

                    Sarah Davies