Re: cotton was Re: Quilting

  • Beth and Bob Matney
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2006
      >Most medieval quilting seems to have been with two whole sheets of cloth
      >put together, cotton batting between, and sewed through all layers with
      >backstitch or running stitch. Linen and silk are both known as top and
      >backing fabrics -- I'm not so sure about wool. Cotton _batting_ was
      >actually imported into northwestern Europe relatively early, certainly by
      >the 16th century, as opposed to cotton _thread_ or cotton _cloth_ which
      >didn't become really common there till much later.

      Cotton cloth in the form of "fustian" (linen warp/cotton weft) was actually
      extensive manufactured in Northern Italy beginning in the 12th century and
      in Southern Germany in the 14th. In N. Italy, cotton ranked with the
      manufacture of silk and woollen goods in labor force, capital investment
      and commerce. Cotton textiles were exported all over Europe, though not
      usually as a luxury... the main market was the "common man". (Mazzaoui, pg. 1)

      Raw cotton was also used as pillow stuffing. (Mazzaoui, pg. 19)

      By the late 13th century, bulk shipments of fustian cloth were going to
      ports in England and Flanders. (Mazzaoui, pg 64)

      There are not a lot of books published on early cotton history. For more
      details, I suggest:

      Cotton in Mediaeval textiles of the Near East. by LAMM, C. J. Paris
      (Cairo-printed) 1937. 4to. xxiii, 265 p

      The Italian Cotton Industry in the Later Middle Ages, 1100 - 1600. by
      Mazzaoui, Maureen. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1981 ISBN:
      0521230950.

      Mazzaoui also has some interesting details about quilts and quilt guilds...

      Hope that this is of some assistance.
      Beth Matney
    • kittencat3@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 3, 2006
        Mazzaoui's book is wonderful...the footnotes about quilting guilds in Italy
        (there were at least ten) were eye-opening, to say the least. I'm glad someone
        else has read it!

        Sarah

      • msgilliandurham
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 3, 2006
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Beth and Bob Matney
          <bmatney@...> wrote:

          > Cotton cloth in the form of "fustian" (linen warp/cotton weft) was
          >actually extensive manufactured in Northern Italy beginning in
          > the 12th century and in Southern Germany in the 14th. In N. Italy,
          > cotton ranked with the manufacture of silk and woollen goods in
          > labor force, capital investment and commerce. Cotton textiles
          > were exported all over Europe, though notusually as a luxury... the
          > main market was the "common man". (Mazzaoui, pg. 1)
          [...]
          > By the late 13th century, bulk shipments of fustian cloth were going
          > to ports in England and Flanders. (Mazzaoui, pg 64)
          > Beth Matney

          This is excellent news, as I have recently been able to purchase
          several lengths of 50/50 cotton linen blend at my loca; JoAnns for $2
          a yard with their ubiquitous coupons :-)

          Fustian is also available quite reasonably from Hamilton Dry
          Goods /Period Fabrics:

          http://www.periodfabric.com/FustianNaturalBlends.htm

          Thanks, Gillian
        • Eirene Tzimiskina Kontostephanina
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 3, 2006
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Beth and Bob Matney
            <bmatney@...> wrote:
            <snip>

            > Raw cotton was also used as pillow stuffing. (Mazzaoui, pg. 19)

            Time and place? I would assume Italy from the title of the book, but
            please verify. (It's $150 to purchase a copy, and I have too short of
            an attention span for ILL.)

            Thanks!

            Lijsbet
          • kittencat3@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 3, 2006
              Italy between 1100 and 1600, most probably 14th century.

              Sarah Davies