Re: [Authentic_SCA] Quilting was: Pillow stuffing

  • kittencat3@aol.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 2, 2006
      Ooo, good point from Lady Christian...wool doesn't seem to have been nearly
      as popular as cotton for stuffing and batting, and for good reason: wool
      battings tend to beard (have the fibers poke out through the cloth, which is
      annoying and scratchy; if you think de-pilling a sweater is bad, try shaving a
      quilt), stuffed work balls up and felts, and the quilts themselves tend to be sort
      of limp, especially if they're made of something like silk. For some reason
      Henry VIII was very fond of wool-stuffed linen quilts (he owned about three
      dozen, or roughly half his quilt stash), but that's the only reference to wool
      battings I've found so far.

      Sarah Davies (again)

    • bex_1014
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 2, 2006
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, kittencat3@... wrote:

        > Ooo, good point from Lady Christian...wool doesn't seem to have been
        nearly
        > as popular as cotton for stuffing and batting, and for good reason:

        <snip>
        I just wanted to ask, when and where? We seem to be talking English
        Tudor times here, but what if you wanted a quilt from 14th C France? Or
        Normandy in 1066? Is there any evidence from earlier times? I thought
        that cotton-wool is progressively scarcer and more expensive the
        further back in time, and further from the Mediterranean, leading me to
        think that 14th C England, if it had quilts, would be more likely to
        have them padded with wool, unless you were very well off.
        curious,
        Rebecca
      • kittencat3@aol.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 2, 2006
          In a message dated 2/2/2006 8:51:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          tonkin.rebecca@... writes:

          I just wanted to ask, when and where? We seem to be talking English
          Tudor times here, but what if you wanted a quilt from 14th C France? Or
          Normandy in 1066? Is there any evidence from earlier times? I thought
          that cotton-wool is progressively scarcer and more expensive the
          further back in time, and further from the Mediterranean, leading me to
          think that 14th C England, if it had quilts, would be more likely to
          have them padded with wool, unless you were very well off.
          14th century France - quilt would have been trapunto wholecloth of linen
          stuffed with cotton. Rene of Anjou owned one, and there was a quilt in Italy
          prior to WWII (it may not have survived) that featured the fleur-de-lis of Anjou
          and/or France as a prominent design motif.

          Norman times - probably not unless you somehow knew someone with connections
          to a Silk Road caravan, and certainly not on a bed. There's a huge gap
          between the one known Merovingian quilted piece (probably an import, 6-7th century)
          and a 12th century reference to a quilt in a French lai.

          Earlier times - there's a quilted tomb rug from Siberia that dates to the 1st
          century of the Common Era. There's a great picture of it in Averil Colby's
          book =Quilting.=

          I haven't found any evidence for wool used in quilts as padding before the
          time of Henry VIII; quilted armor was stuffed with cotton or linen because it
          provided more protection than wool, for instance. Wool as the quilt top seems
          to have originated in America in the 18th century in imitation of cotton and
          silk wholecloths, and may have developed from the bed rugg, or heavy hooked
          coverlet that was standard in the 17th and 18th centuries in New England.

          English quilting - very little evidence for a homegrown tradition until just
          after the SCA period, I'm afraid. Quilts were an expensive luxury item and
          were imported, either from the Low Countries (linen and cotton "holland cloth"
          quilts) or the Far East and India (silk wholecloths and Bengali cottons from
          Goa).

          Hope this helps....

          Sarah Davies

        • Eirene Tzimiskina Kontostephanina
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 3, 2006
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, kittencat3@... wrote:

            > Quilts were by and large stuffed with cotton (although linen quilts
            were also
            > stuffed with wool in the 16th century), either rolled flat or
            "flockes" (raw
            > chunks, most likely in trapunto). Not sure about pillows,
            though...what about
            > feathers?

            Feathers *seem* to be likely. But so far I can't find anything that
            would indicate what was contained within any one pillow. I did find a
            Renaissance inventory that listed a "feather bed and bolster" as if
            they were a pair. It might be that the word "feather" described both
            items. Or not.

            I'm focusing on the 14th-15th centuries, btw.

            Lijsbet
          • Eirene Tzimiskina Kontostephanina
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 3, 2006
              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, NINacide@... wrote:

              > _http://www.catherineshinn.com/acatalog/antique_pillows.htm_
              > (http://www.catherineshinn.com/acatalog/antique_pillows.htm)
              >
              > "The earliest Pillows were formed wrapped around leaves or straw"
              >
              > Mikhail

              A bit *too* early I'm afraid. ;-)

              Lijsbet
            • Angharad ver' Reynulf

                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 3, 2006
                  Apologies on the first message, my enter key was a bit touchy.

                  I intended to ask what would be a relatively easy-to-find modern equivalent to the cotton used to stuff the earlier medieval quilts.

                  Thank you,

                  Angharad ver' Reynulf
                • Terri Morgan
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 3, 2006
                    let me begin by stating that late 16th century is not my period. But I am
                    re-vamping my first (pathetic) attempt at trous and a jerkin (or maybe a
                    doublet this time) for my husband so he won't be out of place at
                    Elizabethan-era events and demos. This, of course, led to a discussion about
                    what he would like (good Viking that he is) and what I would be willing to
                    make. And in the course of the discussion came a question not really
                    addressed by "Patterns of Fashion" or QEWU, so far as I could find.
                    Was it unusual for a man to have trous of one colour/fabric and a jerkin
                    or doublet of another? Paintings seem to indicate that both top and bottom
                    were matching yet what I've looked at could well be considered 'cursory'
                    compared to those of you who are of later-period personas. I'd like to make
                    two trous to every jerkin/doublet so he can work with no fear of having to
                    change his entire outfit...

                    Hrothny
                  • Eirene Tzimiskina Kontostephanina
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 3, 2006
                      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Angharad ver' Reynulf
                      <dragonwolfcat@...> wrote:

                      > Apologies on the first message, my enter key was a bit touchy.
                      >
                      > I intended to ask what would be a relatively easy-to-find modern
                      equivalent to the cotton used to stuff the earlier medieval quilts.

                      > Thank you,
                      >
                      > Angharad ver' Reynulf

                      There is quite a bit of cotton batting on the market. Your local
                      JoAnns should carry it.

                      Lijsbet
                    • Eirene Tzimiskina Kontostephanina
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 3, 2006
                        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, kittencat3@... wrote:
                        <snip>
                        > Not sure about pillows, though...what about
                        > feathers?

                        I can't rule out feathers, but neither can I document their common
                        use. The Paston inventories show that of thirteen pillows only two
                        were remarkable enough to list the contents, that being down. The rest
                        would seem to be common enough that a description of the contents
                        wasn't required.

                        Lijsbet
                      • kittencat3@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 3, 2006
                          Two suggestions and a recommendation:

                          For flocking, try either cotton cosmetic puffs or the soft outer layer of a
                          roll of old-fashioned wound cotton. I've tried the latter and it does work,
                          and a lady on the Medieval Quilting tried the former with excellent results.

                          If you want to do flat quilting, use a Harriett Hargraves organic cotton
                          batt. It's marvelous to work with, and can be found pretty easily in quilt shops
                          and online.

                          Sarah Davies