Current projects

  • wodeford
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 27, 2006
      Well, I just finished a monster of a gored tunic out of coat weight
      wool melton in order to appease the spirits of the Arizona desert in
      February. Nothing spectacular, however, I predict that turning my
      fingers to hamburger in hand-sewing this puppy will result in
      relatively mild weather conditions at Estrella.

      Currently in progress is a dan-gawari kosode. Dan gawari refers to a
      sort of checkerboard effect done in large alternating blocks of fabric.
      Here's one of my favorite extant examples from the 16th century:
      http://www.wodefordhall.com/patch.jpg
      Mine is alternating striped and solid silks in shades of violet.

      The Japanese are inveterate fabric recyclers and we have pictorial
      evidence dating to the 14th century of a retainer in kosode and hakama
      which appear to have been pieced together out of two garments. By the
      16th century, piecework is fashionable among city people and the
      samurai classes. Sometimes to the point of excess as this 16th century
      "crazy quilt" in silk and gold and silver brocade demonstrates:
      http://www.wodefordhall.com/uesugikenshin.jpg

      Jehanne de Wodeford/Saionji no Hanae, which ever one I am today....
      Province of the Mists, West Kingdom