lizards and snakes, oh my! (was Re: gelatin in period)

  • m d b
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 27, 2006
      > > I don't recall what was done with the lizard in the
      > > recipe you mentioned, but if it was boiled it might
      > > have contributed gelatin, don't you suppose??
      >
      > I thought gelatin came specifically from hooves -
      > would any bones / skin work?

      Yep, I'll have to hunt down a good scientific page but:
      http://users.rcn.com/sue.interport/food/gelatin.html
      http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a3_103.html
      http://www.answerbag.com/q_view.php/7953
      http://www.cookingatdebras.com/articles/article14_2-14-02.html

      Basically rendering down of collagen.. though I'm sure that doesn't
      explain it at all well;)

      > Since I somehow keep coming back to the lizards, I'm
      > also including the English translation of the two
      > recipes from the Manual de Mugeres. (Yes, I realize
      > neither say they are specifically a "hair gel" - but
      > these were the only period Spanish recipes I have
      > found so far for some substance being put into one's
      > hair.)
      >
      > IIRC, Leonor, of the Shire of Alcazar, was primarily
      > responsible for the translation.
      >
      > Grainne: I know what you are thinking. I am NOT
      > planning on cooking lizards. I promise!

      Just keep away from the cat fat recipies. Got Asthma? Use cat fat!

      Interesting recipies though.

      Now, I seem to recall a fair amount of Gum arabic being mentioned in
      recipies. But I can't recall where and just why... this was a few
      years back when researching scents and pomanders of the 16thC...

      Willemyne
      http://glittersweet.com