Re: Pictures of Chopines

  • glaukopisathene
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 25, 2006
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Kimberly Butler"
      <kbutler@s...> wrote:
      > Wow those chopines are beautiful. If you dont mind a question, where
      > did you find peices of cork big enough? I have been trying to find a
      > source and so far have not had much luck.
      >
      > Emery de Fittun

      I'd be happy to answer your question, but I'm afraid don't know the
      details. My boyfriend ordered the cork, and it arrived in an enormous
      block -- looks like enough to make several pairs. The research he's
      done, though, turned up some interesting information about
      materials...turns out that chopines were made of lightweight woods as
      well as cork (in fact, wood seems to become more desirable as the shoe
      gets taller). My next pair, which will probably be about 8-10 inches
      high, will be wooden. The cork is probably easier to work with, but
      wood is easier to come by. If you (or anyone!) would like more
      information about the cork source, drop me a line off-list and I'll
      pass your requests along to the expert... :-)

      "wodeford" <wodeford@y...> wrote:
      > I've never tried to dance in geta.....

      That would so rock, though.

      > Nice job, Vittoria. They look great.

      Can't take credit for a thing, my dear, except wearing them. I had a
      little input on the design, but Vyncent did all the work, and did it
      splendidly. But I'm hoping to contribute a little more to the next
      pair -- with luck, that'll be a summer project we can work on
      together. (Missed seeing you at Twelfth Night, by the way!)

      Vittoria