Vertical Tour

  • Lady_Lark_Azure
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 23, 2006
      Hi gang.

      Okay, so I've already tried to tempt folks into NYC with the "Splendor
      of the Word" exhibit. This weekend's excursion was to St. John the
      Divine. We took what is called the "Vertical Tour" which has resumed
      after hiatus from the fire. It is a climb up the stone spiral
      staircases in the walls and buttresses, taking you to the triforium,
      clerestory gallery and the "rosette" gallery right beneath the
      vaulting. From there, you climb up into the attic above the vaulting
      and out onto the roof.

      The muscles in my upper thighs are now yelling at me for the abuse,
      but it is well worth it. For anyone with an interest in gothic
      architecture, this is a great experience.

      Isabeau

      P.S. Jehanne--when the guide told us the inch and a half thick
      Guastavino tile could indeed support a person walking on it in the
      attic, it was, of course, Otto, who said, "I wouldn't want to be the
      guy to find the loose tile!"
    • wodeford
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 23, 2006
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Lady_Lark_Azure"
        <jenniferanne21@n...> wrote:

        > The muscles in my upper thighs are now yelling at me for the abuse,
        > but it is well worth it. For anyone with an interest in gothic
        > architecture, this is a great experience.

        I happen to enjoy climbing cathedrals, but I don't recommend it for
        anyone who is phobic about heights. I did this a number of years ago
        and it was terrific.

        > P.S. Jehanne--when the guide told us the inch and a half thick
        > Guastavino tile could indeed support a person walking on it in the
        > attic, it was, of course, Otto, who said, "I wouldn't want to be the
        > guy to find the loose tile!"

        I'll bet it was! Tell him hello from me.

        Jehanne de Wodeford,
        Province of the Mists, West