Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Shadow plays

  • Ariane Helou
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 25, 2001
      That sounds really cool...actually, for my Middle Eastern Studies class
      this week we had a guest speaker from Turkey who is also a professional
      musician, and sang these beautiful troubadour songs from the 13th century
      (pre-Ottoman). OK, so nothing to do with shadow plays, but it was great
      music :)
      And speaking of theater, would any of you know about techniques for
      masks? Moshe and I are putting together a play (more about this later!)
      and at least four of the characters will be wearing masks. Where can we go
      for information about this? We're not looking for a particular time
      period, anything from 10th-16th century Europe would be helpful.

      Grazie,

      Vittoria

      At 02:07 PM 1/26/01 +1100, you wrote:

      > >An interesting aspect of Andalusian entertainment I would like to explore
      > >would be the shadow-plays. As yet I have only seen them mentioned, not
      > >adequately described. If you happen to find out more about them, please do
      > >post it to the list!
      >
      >These may be similar to Turkish shadow puppets that myself and my friend
      >Master Kilic ibn Sungur looked at several years ago. They are different to
      >what one would expect of shadow puppets, in that they are made of
      >translucent coloured vellum, so they project a coloured image, which looks
      >rather like stained glass. We made a few and wrote an Islamic style shadow
      >play about a soldier, a maiden and the angel of death as I recall (I don't
      >remember whether we performed it at an event or not). The coloured figures
      >looked dark and indistinct behind a screen, as well as being highly
      >detailed, so we theorised that perhaps they were meant to be used *in
      >front* of the screen, with the light shining through the coloured vellum
      >from behind. We were unable to find any supporting evidence either way.
      >
      >Giles
    • Mark Calderwood
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 25, 2001
        >An interesting aspect of Andalusian entertainment I would like to explore
        >would be the shadow-plays. As yet I have only seen them mentioned, not
        >adequately described. If you happen to find out more about them, please do
        >post it to the list!

        These may be similar to Turkish shadow puppets that myself and my friend
        Master Kilic ibn Sungur looked at several years ago. They are different to
        what one would expect of shadow puppets, in that they are made of
        translucent coloured vellum, so they project a coloured image, which looks
        rather like stained glass. We made a few and wrote an Islamic style shadow
        play about a soldier, a maiden and the angel of death as I recall (I don't
        remember whether we performed it at an event or not). The coloured figures
        looked dark and indistinct behind a screen, as well as being highly
        detailed, so we theorised that perhaps they were meant to be used *in
        front* of the screen, with the light shining through the coloured vellum
        from behind. We were unable to find any supporting evidence either way.

        Giles
      • Beth
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 26, 2001
          There is a group in the Barony of Thor's Mountain that I believe is called "Black Lantern" that has entertained for years with just this type of puppet. I have seen them at Pennsic and Gulf Wars as well as local events in Meridies and Atlantia. I am sorry I can't give you a name, but maybe this will tickle somebody else's memories.

          It seems like they had figures that were used both in front of and behind the screen.

          They have a wonderful play about an elephant.

          Good Luck!

          Ragnel

          yet I have only seen them mentioned, not
          >adequately described.  If
          you happen to find out more about them, please do
          >post it to the
          list!

          These may be similar to Turkish shadow puppets that myself and my friend
          Master Kilic ibn Sungur looked at several years ago. They are different to
          what one would expect of shadow puppets, in that they are made of
          translucent coloured vellum, so they project a coloured image, which looks
          rather like stained glass. We made a few and wrote an Islamic style shadow
          play about a soldier, a maiden and the angel of death as I recall (I don't
          remember whether we performed it at an event or not). The coloured figures
          looked dark and indistinct behind a screen, as well as being highly
          detailed, so we theorised that perhaps they were meant to be used *in
          front* of the screen, with the light shining through the coloured vellum
          from behind. We were unable to find any supporting evidence either way.

          Giles

          This is the Authentic SCA eGroup

        • Stephen Higa
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 28, 2001
            Wow, that sounds really great! Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into
            putting something like that together for an event.

            are you going to put together a shadow play for your event?

            Moshe
            The earth of humankind
            contains all moistness,
            all verdancy,