List expectations

  • aheilvei
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2006
      In attempts to stop the consistant go-arounds of 'why do we call this
      the authenticity list' and 'why are people trying to get me to build
      boxes rather than saying it's okay to use my rubbermaid totes
      forever', this posting of list expectations (and the fact that each
      member has their own expectations of themselves which they do not
      foist on others, but do voice here) will be sent to the group at
      large every 3 or 4 months as a reminder. We hope this will cut down
      on some of the go-around discussions that happen every 3-4 months on
      these issues.

      Please read through the post again. It is sent to everyone when
      joining the list and some of us have been here for a few years.
      Reminders are good things.

      - List Moderators

      This group is organized for the furtherance of authenticity in the
      SCA. To sign on to this list means that you understand that the
      people on this list want the SCA to be more correct for the periods
      represented by its members (and that covers a helluvalota time).

      This means that you will be given advice on how to acquire a canvas
      tent or hide your nylon pimple rather than being told that it's okay
      to be in a nylon pimple at every SCA event you ever attend (which it
      is, but the people on this list would rather help you into canvas).
      This means that you will be encouraged to purchase and/or make
      clothing out of linen, wool, and silk - as these were the primary
      fabrics used in the SCA's timeframe - rather than using poly-cotton
      bedsheets to make your next chemise. This means that you will be
      pointed to cookbooks written in SCA period for suggestions of food to
      bring to an event rather than a Martha Stewart mag. This means that
      you will be given instruction on how to grind your own pigments into
      paints and where to purchase said pigments, rather than pointed to
      the nearest art store tube gouache. This means that you will be
      encouraged to do *RESEARCH* into your persona, your time period, your
      arts areas of interest, the country of your personas origin, and a
      myriad of other things. All of this is contingent of you asking for
      help and advice and please note that none of this is *required* you
      will be "encouraged", "pointed to", "given advice", and "given
      instruction" - not required.

      Do not become a blathering idiot and assume that everyone on this
      list is out to get you or that everyone on this list feels that the
      perfect kit is required to enter the SCA or any of its events. Do not
      whine to the list about it's high expectations. The expectations you
      hear are for the individuals posting toward themselves, it has
      nothing to do with you. No one on this list has a perfectly period
      kit, nor is anyone likely to in their lifetime - and all realize and
      recognize this fact. The people on this list are not projecting their
      personal requirements onto you - they state what they require of
      themselves and what they wish for themselves; if you feel they are
      projecting it to you, you need to reassess how the post was stated
      and move on. The people who post on this list have high standards...
      FOR THEMSELVES.

      Occasionally people will post what they feel the "best world" would
      be - the ideal of everyone playing in the manner that the single
      poster would like. This is not to say that the entire group
      ensconces the view of this person. Nor is it to say that the entire
      group *expects* that one day all members of the SCA will become
      entirely correct for period in all activities and manners. No one
      truly believes this - it's a fantasy that many have and occasionally
      voice here because they are likely to *not* be laughed at here for
      such a view (unlike if such a thought were voiced at the local
      fighter practice).

      This is a group for those who wish that the SCA were more period
      correct, therefore, a lot of hopes are voiced here. If you cannot
      recognize someone else's hope enunciated but must take it as a
      personal affront to your kit at the moment, please lurk and learn but
      don't voice your hurt and indignation - it will only cause the
      conversation to turn into a large "that's okay *pat* *pat*" fest, of
      which there are a number in the archives already.

      And *please* go through the archives, the links section, the files,
      and the photos areas for the group - so many topics that re-occur can
      be easily answered with a simple search of any of these areas. We
      don't expect people to abandon their wheelchairs, glasses,
      orthopedics, or inhalers in pursuit of authenticity; health is more
      important than this game. We also don't expect you to spend your
      last $5 on linen for a veil rather than lunch, this would be stupid
      and the people on this list are far from that. If you spend your last
      $5 on linen for a veil, that is your problem and you need to sit
      down, think about your priorities, and rearrange them. The SCA is a
      game, if you're not having fun, you're not doing something right;
      figure out what it is and go from there.

      Nothing posted on this list is meant as a personal affront to
      anyone. No one on this list will require anyone else to live up to
      their expectations. The expectations voiced on this list are
      personal - those voiced for the SCA as a whole are an ideal dream
      which we all know to be very distant, and probably unachievable. But
      we can (and certainly do) try.

      And if you haven't gotten the message by now, this is a list for
      those who wish to improve the level of authenticity in their personal
      play and their personal kits in the SCA (thereby, raising the
      standards and the level of authenticity in the SCA one person at a
      time - we're sneaky that way). Don't ask for "perioiod" ways of doing
      things or 'just for now' fixes - ask how it would have been done and
      go about figuring out your own method of 'just for now' if that's all
      you have time/money to do. "Perioiod" is one of the big obstacles of
      becoming more authentic to the time frame you have chosen to
      represent and study. If you are not interested in this, or you just
      don't understand why someone would rather have a reproduction of a
      16th century wooden German chest in their Pennsic tent than a
      rubbermaid tote, you're on the wrong list.
    • lapapu
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 5, 2006
        Just $16.99/mo. or less.
        dsl.yahoo.com