Re: medieval hair gel?

  • Peri
    Message 1 of 40 , Jan 5, 2006
      MODERATOR NOTE:
      PLEASE SIGN ALL POSTS TO THIS LIST
      THANK YOU

      Another possability ... potato starch. It was used as fabric starch,
      and does work well on those pesky little spit curls (and doesn't have
      eau de icky smell when it warms up!). It is easily made as follows:

      1. grate raw potatoes.
      2. put in a bowl with cold water, JUST cover and leave a few
      hours/overnight.
      3. (Gross part) Squeeze out the potato, gathering the liquid in a
      small bowl. Let it sit an hour or so.
      3. skim the top floaty stuff ... its starch!
      4. Dip in your fingers and make curls, pressing to the exact spot
      you'd like them to stay.
      5. Hold briefly and let dry.

      If your hair is especially difficult, gently heat the water to
      concentrate more starch before the 3rd step.
    • Katherine Throckmorton
      Message 40 of 40 , Jan 5, 2006
        Lyle wrote:

        > What if you're from a pre-potato culture?

        Rice or wheat starch would probobly also work. I suggest trying Asian grocery stores for starch, as they usually carry all sorts.
        I must confess that I often use potato starch. In my experience "starch is starch" in terms of stiffening properties, but potato starch tends to be less itchy.

        -Katherine