What kind of feast gear ?

  • foxfreya
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 4, 2006
      I was wondering if a merchant/scribe (middle class professions, but
      not a noble person) would have had fancy wooden feast gear or metal gear ?
      Would they use porcelain ? terre-cuite vessels ? (I don't know what
      terre cuite is in english sorry.... could sound like baked soil ???
      I'm not quite sure about this one)

      if they used metal, what kind of metal ?
      also, what would have they most drink in ? cups, mugs, horns ?
      ornamented or not ?

      I am looking for references about those for western europe, maybe
      something for 8-9th century ?

      if you possess some other bits of information (for other centurys) let
      me know too if you can

      sorry for the question but I'm a total newbie around here and my
      researchs have yet to give me good results, while I would like to
      achieve the more authentic look possible so I don't have to replace
      everything and loose money once I get started...

      thanks a lot

      -Mylène
    • Despair Bear
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 5, 2006
        --- foxfreya <Chibi_Yuri@...> wrote:

        > I was wondering if a merchant/scribe (middle class
        > professions, but
        > not a noble person) would have had fancy wooden
        > feast gear or metal gear ?
        > Would they use porcelain ? terre-cuite vessels ? (I
        > don't know what
        > terre cuite is in english sorry.... could sound like
        > baked soil ???
        > I'm not quite sure about this one)
        >
        > if they used metal, what kind of metal ?
        > also, what would have they most drink in ? cups,
        > mugs, horns ?
        > ornamented or not ?
        >
        > I am looking for references about those for western
        > europe, maybe
        > something for 8-9th century ?

        I would say wood is a safe bet, clay would also be
        proper if you could find something with an good glaze.
        I would stay away from metal, yes they did exist but
        again you are looking at price. As for what to have
        for the 8-9th I would suggest a knife, bowl, plate and
        cup perhaps a spoon as well if you where feeling
        fancy. Horns were more of a "ritual" type of cup for
        special occasions, from what I have read I have a
        feeling that most people would have drank from wood or
        clay cups or bowls and saved their horns for toasts
        and such. As for documentation I would look to
        Anglo-Saxon and Anglo-Scandinavian digs they have a
        good amount of fancy stuff in them that can be used to
        figure out what the more common people would have
        used. I also would recommend you go threw Beowulf ,
        the battle of maldon, and the Norse sagas again for
        more literary references. Hope that helps.

        Godric Of Castlemont

        Just $16.99/mo. or less.
        dsl.yahoo.com
      • Elizabeth Walpole
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 7, 2006
          I can't help you with class issues, but Karen Larsdatter has a page full of
          images of various forms of tableware from SCA period at
          http://www.geocities.com/karen_larsdatter/feastgear.htm so at least you can
          know what it should look like.
          Elizabeth
          I was wondering if a merchant/scribe (middle class professions, but
          not a noble person) would have had fancy wooden feast gear or metal gear ?
          Would they use porcelain ? terre-cuite vessels ? (I don't know what
          terre cuite is in english sorry.... could sound like baked soil ???
          I'm not quite sure about this one)
          <snip>
          thanks a lot

          -Mylène