Re: medieval hair gel?

  • wodeford
    Message 1 of 40 , Jan 4, 2006
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Marc Carlson"
      <marccarlson20@h...> wrote:

      I wasn't intending to disparrage anython'e research, I'm just saying
      that sometimes there IS no exact word to translate to and from,

      That's especially true with some of the Japanese stuff I am forced by
      necessity to read in translation. Clothing descriptions can be
      particularly frustrating when the translator throws his hands up in
      the air and decides that everything is a "robe."

      Jehanne de Wodeford,
      Province of the Mists, West Kingdom
    • Katherine Throckmorton
      Message 40 of 40 , Jan 5, 2006
        Lyle wrote:

        > What if you're from a pre-potato culture?

        Rice or wheat starch would probobly also work. I suggest trying Asian grocery stores for starch, as they usually carry all sorts.
        I must confess that I often use potato starch. In my experience "starch is starch" in terms of stiffening properties, but potato starch tends to be less itchy.

        -Katherine