RE: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Amen to Ninacide! pickey eating and favorite recipes

  • Biles, Christina
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2006
      OK, this reply is rather late, but...

      Urtatim said:
      >>>While i've yet to find info on meat grilled on skewers, meat cooked
      in something like a marinade not unperiod.

      Bogdan mentioned the Platina recipe, and I thought I'd expand and post
      the whole thing since I prefer the alternate spicing.

      Platina
      Meat in the Roman style
      Cut the meat of a young bull into morsels not larger than the size of an
      egg, in such a way that none is completely severed from the other; right
      away, sprinkle them with salt and coriander or ground fennel; having
      sprinkled them, press them a little between two boards. Then pass a spit
      through them with pieces of lard interspersed so that the pieces of meat
      do not touch each other. Turn them over the fire, seeing that they do
      not become too dry until they are cooked.

      Admittedly, not marinated, but I found that a salt and coriander dry rub
      is really excellent. ;> Also, if you follow the exact directions to
      leave a strip connecting the meat and to lard the meat in between gobs,
      you get a very moist very yummy result. It is messy though. I served
      these for a Platina feast and my oh my were they appreciated.

      -Magdalena