Re: medieval hair gel?

  • Marc Carlson
    Message 1 of 40 , Jan 3, 2006
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Michelle -TJ- King
      <dona_violante@y...> wrote:
      > The original post got buried in an avalanche of posts
      > about a much more, ah, inflammatory topic. Time:
      > 10th-13th century; place: Moorish Spain. The lovely
      > damsels all have an upwards curling lock of hair on
      > their cheeks, and it's a look I want to recreate for
      > Atlantia's Kingdom 12th Night, two weekends hence.

      Have you considered super glue? :)

      Seriously, the term "spit curl" may have another emphasis since I am
      told that saliva has some adhesive properties (or so my spinner
      friends tell me)

      Marc/Diarmaid
    • Katherine Throckmorton
      Message 40 of 40 , Jan 5, 2006
        Lyle wrote:

        > What if you're from a pre-potato culture?

        Rice or wheat starch would probobly also work. I suggest trying Asian grocery stores for starch, as they usually carry all sorts.
        I must confess that I often use potato starch. In my experience "starch is starch" in terms of stiffening properties, but potato starch tends to be less itchy.

        -Katherine