Re: [Authentic_SCA] Hoping for some help...

  • jeffrey.heilveil@ndsu.edu
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 3, 2006
      Marge asked:

      > Would that be period?

      Well, the funny thing about the SCA is that it covers a wide range of time
      and geography. For example, Fina, who has an early-period persona from
      the Isles, wouldn't have traveled to war, as she told us earlier. For
      Despina and I, on the other hand, in the first half of the 15th Century on
      the Transylvanian-Wallachian border, we probably would have, because of
      where the battlefronts were at the time and what it would mean if those
      nasty Ottomans overran Brasov (yogurt EVERYWHERE!).

      So you see, it's incredibly helpful if we have a general idea of the
      when/where that interests you. Of course, that's harder since you're new
      and may not have found your area/time of interest yet.

      Welcome and good luck. I'll leave the question answering to the
      textile-inclined.

      Bogdan

      Jeffrey S. Heilveil, Ph.D.
      Postdoctoral Fellow
      Department of Biological Sciences
      North Dakota State University
      Stevens Hall
      Fargo, ND 58105
      jeffrey.heilveil@...
    • Marge Adams
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 3, 2006
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Amy Heilveil
        <amyheilveil@g...> wrote:

        > So where/when are you researching? :)
        >
        > Smiles,
        > Despina

        I've decided on late 14th century, hence the cotehardies, etc. Most
        likely England, though I am also interested in the Low Countries.
        (However info on that area for the time period is
        somewhat...elusive.)
        My 14yo daughter is doing the same period and we have made a lot of
        basic stuff. I'm trying to figure out what might be nice for court
        or a ball. Also, what might be good for a masqued ball.
        (Specifically, masque ideas.)

        My sons want to be Mongols which is proving to be a little more
        challenging for me. Silk dels for 12 & 13 yo boys? I don't think
        so. Linen doesn't seem appropriate, so cotton? Wool? I just don't
        know... I am getting closer to actually being ready to cut
        something out, finally, esp. with help from the link on this site.
        But what to use?

        Does that help?
        Marge