RE: [Authentic_SCA] Digest Number 3115

  • Satine De La Courcel
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2006
      I have a Question about Brocades, Silk and Velvet/Velveteen.

      Santa was really good to me this year and gave me some Geogous Royal Blue
      Velvet and Deep Burgundy Velveteen...... What would I be able to use for
      what time periods????? I can not exactally give it back or return it. The
      Colors would look amazing with my Skin tone and long red hair...

      Santa AKA mom would be devestated If I did not use it in garb.... she
      notices that kind of stuff.. Its not like a really bad wedding give that
      "accidentally" gets broken.... a friend of mine so elequently put it when I
      told her my Delima..... I think thewe are cotton velvets to boot!

      I am in a Pickle! Please advise...
      in Service

      Satine

      Don't just Search. Find! http://search.sympatico.msn.ca/default.aspx The new
      MSN Search! Check it out!
    • Eithne Brjannsdottir
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 5, 2006
        Wow! You are incredibly fortunate to have such lovely fabric!

        If it was me, I'd use some of it to make a gown, and some to make a
        sideless surcoat. And if there was any more of it left, I'd use it in
        a cloak. As for periods, I'd suggest that you research mid to late
        period and see what catches your eye.

        -- Eithne
        (who dabbles in MANY different periods/places)

        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Satine De La Courcel"

        > Santa was really good to me this year and gave me some Geogous
        Royal Blue
        > Velvet and Deep Burgundy Velveteen...... What would I be able to use
        for
        > what time periods?????
      • Sarah Michele Ford
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 5, 2006
          > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Satine De La Courcel"
          >
          > > Santa was really good to me this year and gave me some Geogous
          > Royal Blue
          > > Velvet and Deep Burgundy Velveteen...... What would I be able to use
          > for
          > > what time periods?????

          Yummy! Depending on how much you have, you could do all or part of a
          luscious Elizabethan gown... If you don't have enough of either color
          for a full garment, you could use it for trimmings - I have some black
          cotton velveteen (fabric.com was giving it away with big orders a
          couple of years ago) that I'm (eventually) going to use for the collar
          and cuffs of a Burgundian gown, for example. That's a nice way to use
          an expensive fabric when you don't have enough to make a full garment.

          Alianor