Re: [Authentic_SCA] Hoping for some help...

  • Amy Heilveil
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 3, 2006
      In addition to Tangwystyl's wonderful advice, let me add this: in part, the
      fabric that would be correct for your persona depends on time, place, and
      societal ranking (I mean of the society you are trying to emulate, not the
      SCA).

      A 9th century Pict woman would not have worn silk, but more likely wool. A
      10th century Chinese princess would have worn silk. A 16th century English
      noble woman would have had clothes of silk, wool, and linen. Time and place
      matters for this question.

      So where/when are you researching? :)

      Smiles,
      Despina

    • jeffrey.heilveil@ndsu.edu
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 3, 2006
        Marge asked:

        > Would that be period?

        Well, the funny thing about the SCA is that it covers a wide range of time
        and geography. For example, Fina, who has an early-period persona from
        the Isles, wouldn't have traveled to war, as she told us earlier. For
        Despina and I, on the other hand, in the first half of the 15th Century on
        the Transylvanian-Wallachian border, we probably would have, because of
        where the battlefronts were at the time and what it would mean if those
        nasty Ottomans overran Brasov (yogurt EVERYWHERE!).

        So you see, it's incredibly helpful if we have a general idea of the
        when/where that interests you. Of course, that's harder since you're new
        and may not have found your area/time of interest yet.

        Welcome and good luck. I'll leave the question answering to the
        textile-inclined.

        Bogdan

        Jeffrey S. Heilveil, Ph.D.
        Postdoctoral Fellow
        Department of Biological Sciences
        North Dakota State University
        Stevens Hall
        Fargo, ND 58105
        jeffrey.heilveil@...
      • Marge Adams
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 3, 2006
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Amy Heilveil
          <amyheilveil@g...> wrote:

          > So where/when are you researching? :)
          >
          > Smiles,
          > Despina

          I've decided on late 14th century, hence the cotehardies, etc. Most
          likely England, though I am also interested in the Low Countries.
          (However info on that area for the time period is
          somewhat...elusive.)
          My 14yo daughter is doing the same period and we have made a lot of
          basic stuff. I'm trying to figure out what might be nice for court
          or a ball. Also, what might be good for a masqued ball.
          (Specifically, masque ideas.)

          My sons want to be Mongols which is proving to be a little more
          challenging for me. Silk dels for 12 & 13 yo boys? I don't think
          so. Linen doesn't seem appropriate, so cotton? Wool? I just don't
          know... I am getting closer to actually being ready to cut
          something out, finally, esp. with help from the link on this site.
          But what to use?

          Does that help?
          Marge