RE: [Authentic_SCA] Medieval Cookies

  • Giovanna d'Este
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 2, 2006
      To make about forty pizzelles that fake a medieval wafer:

      5 eggs
      1/2 cup white sugar
      1 teaspoon baking powder
      2 teaspoons powdered ginger (you can increase this for more warmth)
      1/4 tsp. white pepper (you can increase this for more bite)
      2 tablespoons wine reduction*
      1/2 c. butter, melted.
      1/2 c. shortening, melted.
      6 + cups flour

      *I make the wine reduction by boiling a bottle of a good white wine down to
      about four ounces of liquid, thereby getting flavor without too much liquid
      in my batter.

      Melt the butter and the shortening, sift the dry ingredients together, and
      beat it all together, and cook in golf-ball-sized balls on a pizzelle iron
      45 seconds or til just starting to color (although they're good golden brown
      too.) I scoop mine with a 3/4 oz food service scoop, which works quite well
      to produce the right size balls. Flavor intensifies slightly if left to sit.
      Wrap tightly to store. They freeze well.

      I like to combine them with fresh melon and candied spices to give a true
      medieval dessert course that generally is a nice sort of thing after some
      heavily spiced, complex sauces. At Bardic Madness South in December, my
      co-cook and I did dessert plates involving these, Excellent Small Cakes,
      gingerbrede, and candied orange and lemon peels, which admittedly crosses
      periods but was all pretty much pre-1600 in flavor and source.

      I don't refrigerate my batter, and haven't noticed any difference in how it
      behaves from the beginning of the batch to the end. I'll try that next time
      I make them.

      Feel free to play with this and let me know how your experiments turn out.

      Al vostro servizio,
      Signora Giovanna d'Este

      Vert, on a billet Or three fleurs-de-lys, one and two, sable, a bordure
      dancetty Or.

      "Numquam Succumbe"