Re: [Authentic_SCA] "Authentic"?

  • Joannah Hansen
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 2, 2006
      >Yes.
      >More than anything, I think it highlighted how we tend to read
      >intentions into each other's text that comes more from the ferment
      >of our own insecurities than is the authors intent.
      >
      >I think that is the main lesson we need to remind ourselves of,
      >when this topic comes up (as it has done, and will do).
      >
      >That's the lesson _I_ came away with, at any rate.
      >I now try to remind myself that plain text emails are a p*ss-poor
      >medium for reading others' subtextual conversations, and ideal
      >for crafting imaginary ones that in reality mirror our own subtexts.
      >I now try to remind myself to think twice before being offended.
      >I now try to remind myself to use Occam's Razor in all
      >conversations.
      >I sometimes fail. But at least I try.
      >
      >I get a lot less huffy on the net these days as a result, and I am
      >happier about it.
      >
      >Capt Elias

      Another thing to keep in mind, IMO, is that it is veeeerrrryyy easy for what is being 'said' in text to *sound* critical and curt, even if the sender isn't trying to be so.

      I am aware, myself, that most of my posts 'sound' very formal, and perhaps a bit cold, even, as I *cannot* bring myself to _not_ 'talk' correctly. ( If that makes sense? )

      I guess that's why emoticons were invented! :-)

      My 2cents worth.

      Joannah