Re: [Authentic_SCA] Silliness Re: medieval hair gel?

  • Roxanne Price
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 31, 2005
      WoW, Thanks I will have to do a little more checking up on this ref then...lol
      can't log it if it's inaccurat .....lol I'll keep looking...grin
      Frau Amalthea

      wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Roxanne Price <Ladyelysa@y...>
      wrote:

      > I also found refrances to hair laquers used by Geisha as far back as
      4000 BC.

      Interesting. As far as I know, geisha (literally "person of art")
      dates to the 18th century and the earliest geisha were men.

      In our period, Japanese women wore their hair long and straight,
      sometimes bound into a loose ponytail. (This includes entertainers
      such as the shirabyoshi dancers). Camelia oil was used as a hair
      treatment. Showing the neck was like showing cleavage in the west -
      courtesans and prostitutes put their hair up, but the styles are much
      less elaborate than those we have come to associate with the Edo
      period geisha.

      http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/kosode/50.htm
      http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/busou/35.htm

      Jehanne de Wodeford (sometimes known as Saionji no Hanae)
      Province of the Mists, West Kingdom

      This is the Authentic SCA eGroup

      Credit history Check credit history Credit history report Free credit history Credit history repair Credit history score

      Great ambition without contribution
      is with out significance.