Re: [Authentic_SCA] Memoirs of a Geisha

  • Adele de Maisieres
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 30, 2005
      Margaret N wrote:

      > The author says in the book's forward (or afterword, I forget which)
      > that the story is only inspired by the history he was told of the lady
      > he knew. I wonder on what basis that she sued him, actually - stealing
      > her story? Anyone have a URL for a link to that news article? I'd love
      > to read it.

      Ditto. I've read Mineko Iwasaki's book as well as Arthur Golden's. I
      don't quite see how a reader could imagine that Golden's main character
      is Iwasaki-- they are quite different and have quite different
      experiences in different eras. Also, Iwasaki complains a great deal
      about the supposed misunderstanding (Golden is not named in her book,
      but presumably he's the one who has "misunderstood") of some aspects of
      geisha life. But Golden is writing about an earlier time, and at least
      some of the things Iwasaki finds objectionable (mizuage, in particular)
      are confirmed by other, more serious authors.

      --
      Adele de Maisieres

      Habeo metrum - musicamque,
      hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?