Re: [Authentic_SCA] Memoirs of a Geisha

  • Margaret N
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 30, 2005
      Park McKellop wrote:

      > Here is someone else's opinion.
      >
      > Alcyoneus
      >
      > Re. Memoirs of a Geisha:
      >
      > Cold day in hell before I bother.
      >
      > All the Japanese leads played by CHINESE actresses. Some of them can't
      > even pronounce the Japanese names of their characters or the people
      > they're talking to (caught Michelle Yeoh trying to say "Sayuri" and
      > nearly died). John Williams used CHINESE music as the basis and
      > inspiration for the soundtrack.
      >
      > Add to that the story is utter shite... (The real lady supposedly the
      > model for the main character sued the ass off the author, and won.)
      >
      > I'm not going to bother.
      >
      > Effingham

      I know all this before hand. If I see the movie - oh, and I *will* - it
      will be based on its own inherent beauty and that of the actors
      involved. (Well, I'll try. I walked into _A Knight's Tale_ knowing this,
      and had fun till I saw the hats on the main love interest - AUGH!
      However, it did broaden the mind for the coat that Edward wears near the
      end of the movie.) Yes, the story's surroundings and historical bases
      are shite. Total shite. The story itself is nonetheless not lessened for
      this lack, IMO. It is strong enough to stand on its own - the author
      just put it in a historically-inspired, semi-fantastical setting.

      The author says in the book's forward (or afterword, I forget which)
      that the story is only inspired by the history he was told of the lady
      he knew. I wonder on what basis that she sued him, actually - stealing
      her story? Anyone have a URL for a link to that news article? I'd love
      to read it.

      What I'm really hoping for is that this will open up an educated
      retelling of the Book of the Prince or some other period Japanese tale.

      Margaret Northwode
    • wodeford
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 30, 2005
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Margaret N
        <margaretnorthwode@f...> wrote:

        > What I'm really hoping for is that this will open up an educated
        > retelling of the Book of the Prince or some other period Japanese tale.

        Go rent "Ugetsu" then. It finally came out on DVD about a month ago
        and it's brilliant!

        Jehanne de Wodeford,
        Province of the Mists, West Kingdom
      • wodeford
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 30, 2005
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "wodeford" <wodeford@y...> wrote:
          > Go rent "Ugetsu" then. It finally came out on DVD about a month ago
          > and it's brilliant!

          Whoops, hit send too soon on this - the stories that "Ugetsu' is based
          upon are actually post 1600, but the director decided to set them
          during the Warring States period of the 16th century and it works very
          well. The depictions of the female characters are particularly touching.

          Another interesting one is "Kwaidan." Four tales of the supernatural
          taken from Lafcadio Hearn's 1904 collection of stories by the same
          name, I can document "The Long Hair" to the 13th century (a version
          appears in Royall Tyler's "Japanese Tales") and while I haven't yet
          determined how old it is, "Hoichi the Earless" is about a biwa-hoshi,
          a sort of blind monk-minstrel of the type who performed the Tales of
          the Heike in medieval Japan.

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 30, 2005
            wodeford wrote:

            > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "wodeford" <wodeford@y...> wrote:
            > > Go rent "Ugetsu" then. It finally came out on DVD about a month ago
            > > and it's brilliant!

            > Another interesting one is "Kwaidan."

            Nifty! Thanks for the recommendations. Geisha's not showing within an
            hour of us, but maybe we can find these for rent locally.

            Margaret Northwode
          • Adele de Maisieres
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 30, 2005
              Margaret N wrote:

              > The author says in the book's forward (or afterword, I forget which)
              > that the story is only inspired by the history he was told of the lady
              > he knew. I wonder on what basis that she sued him, actually - stealing
              > her story? Anyone have a URL for a link to that news article? I'd love
              > to read it.

              Ditto. I've read Mineko Iwasaki's book as well as Arthur Golden's. I
              don't quite see how a reader could imagine that Golden's main character
              is Iwasaki-- they are quite different and have quite different
              experiences in different eras. Also, Iwasaki complains a great deal
              about the supposed misunderstanding (Golden is not named in her book,
              but presumably he's the one who has "misunderstood") of some aspects of
              geisha life. But Golden is writing about an earlier time, and at least
              some of the things Iwasaki finds objectionable (mizuage, in particular)
              are confirmed by other, more serious authors.

              --
              Adele de Maisieres

              Habeo metrum - musicamque,
              hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?