Period Meat On Skewers

  • jeffrey.heilveil@ndsu.edu
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 30, 2005
      Urtatim said:

      > While i've yet to find info on meat grilled on skewers,

      Well, I don't have a Turkish (any variety) recipe on hand, but I do have a
      period recipe from Platina.

      To make it IIRC(not restating the recipe)
      Meat Roman Style:
      you sprinkle chunks of meat with salt and fennel and put them on a stip
      and roast them.

      Then there's also an "appetizer on the coals" which is essentially spiced
      hamburgers.

      Bogdan
      Jeffrey S. Heilveil, Ph.D.
      Postdoctoral Fellow
      Department of Biological Sciences
      North Dakota State University
      Stevens Hall
      Fargo, ND 58105
      jeffrey.heilveil@...
    • Biles, Christina
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2006
        OK, this reply is rather late, but...

        Urtatim said:
        >>>While i've yet to find info on meat grilled on skewers, meat cooked
        in something like a marinade not unperiod.

        Bogdan mentioned the Platina recipe, and I thought I'd expand and post
        the whole thing since I prefer the alternate spicing.

        Platina
        Meat in the Roman style
        Cut the meat of a young bull into morsels not larger than the size of an
        egg, in such a way that none is completely severed from the other; right
        away, sprinkle them with salt and coriander or ground fennel; having
        sprinkled them, press them a little between two boards. Then pass a spit
        through them with pieces of lard interspersed so that the pieces of meat
        do not touch each other. Turn them over the fire, seeing that they do
        not become too dry until they are cooked.

        Admittedly, not marinated, but I found that a salt and coriander dry rub
        is really excellent. ;> Also, if you follow the exact directions to
        leave a strip connecting the meat and to lard the meat in between gobs,
        you get a very moist very yummy result. It is messy though. I served
        these for a Platina feast and my oh my were they appreciated.

        -Magdalena