Re: [Authentic_SCA] Cooling earth

  • jeffrey.heilveil@ndsu.edu
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 30, 2005
      > The background temperature of the soil, once you get down a few feet
      > (I couldn't find how deep it was necessary to go, but I remember it
      > from a guided tour of a cave) is 58 degrees. So, if you have spring
      > water running through your vegetable cellar...

      Actually, this is a regional temperature. In the upper Midwest US, it's
      about 55F (in truth, almost exactly 11C). The temp will depend partly on
      latitude and partly on soil composition.

      Of course, in Central North Dakota in the winter, we get months at a time
      where the temp to 5inches is significantly belower 0C.

      Bogdan

      Jeffrey S. Heilveil, Ph.D.
      Postdoctoral Fellow
      Department of Biological Sciences