Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Amen to Ninacide!

  • Amy Heilveil
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 29, 2005
      > I consider myself a picky eater, too. I pick "period" food for SCA
      > events. I can eat chocolate and potatoes at home.
      >
      > There's so much good food from before 1601, i don't want to bring
      > modern food, i can have that any day of the week in my modern
      > surroundings.

      I agree with these statements. I began a known world scribal gathering at
      Pennsic a fair number of years ago and there are two things that I did with
      it that I desperately hope continue, now that I've handed it off to other
      people to run. The first is that all of the food served is period in
      nature. Dried or fresh fruits, nuts, fine cakes, marzipan, and the like are
      all options, as well as a lot of other things. The reason for this is that
      one can have chocolate chip cookies and potato chips anywhere, anytime
      outside of Pennsic, there is no need to serve such things at a Pennsic
      gathering. The second thing that I desperately hope continues is calling it
      a gathering rather than a tea. A social gathering called a tea in Western
      society is way post-period.

      I maintain that when my husband comes with me to Pennsic and cooks for me,
      it's the best food I eat all year. Great variety, fantastic flavor, and
      it's food I don't get anywhere else (sometimes at home). Yum.

      Smiles,
      Despina