Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Gruss Gott

  • Roxanne Price
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 27, 2005
      MODERATOR NOTE:
      PLEASE DO NOT TOP-POST, RATHER INTERSPARSE RELEVANT BITS OF ANOTHER POST WITH YOUR REPLIES IF NECESSARY.
      THANK YOU

      I agree that the "16th century German woman " can span a large section of geographic history. It is for that reason that I have tried to focus more on Bavarian lesser or merchant class resources that pertain to my immediate persona's development...

      As for the term kampfrau, It is, and I stress in my opinion that it was a nickname given to any woman who was a associated with the military. I base this on woodcuts and other literary references. I also had the opportunity to live and do research in Bavaria for a number of years where I saw that the term was still in use to describe this type of woman in museums as well as in the writings of private collections.

      As a Army Wife I am very much trying to dispel the myth that the Kampfrau or Camp wife and the Schlachtenbummler or camp follower are two distinctly different kinds of women. One being a legitimate wife and the other encompassing everyone from Seamstresses and laundresses to common women of questionable nature.

      As I have tended to see both kinds of women even now attached to the military, it would stand to reason in my opinion that it would have been so then as well.
      And just as today's women symbolically where their husbands rank..I believe it would lead to the military inspired pecking order we still see today.

      PS. I a so glad you are on this list...lol
      Just my two Pfennigs....lol
      Frau Amalthea