medieval hair gel?

  • Michelle -TJ- King
    Message 1 of 40 , Dec 22, 2005
      Anyone know what medieval ladies may have used to help
      shape or stiffen their hair? Egg whites? A scented
      mixture of wax and oil? (Those are the only things I
      could think of.)

      The look I'm trying to recreate is from 11th - 13th
      century al-Andalus; the ladies had a lock of hair
      curling against either cheek, and the only way I can
      get my straight, smooth hair to do that is with hair
      gel. There are some links to pictures of the look I
      am talking about at
      http://www.spanishpeacock.com/violante/Sol/sol_diary.htm
      - scroll down to the August 2, 2005 entry.

      Though I'm mostly interested in al-Andalus, I'd be
      interested in hearing about other times and places
      too.

      Thanks,
      Violante

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Katherine Throckmorton
      Message 40 of 40 , Jan 5, 2006
        Lyle wrote:

        > What if you're from a pre-potato culture?

        Rice or wheat starch would probobly also work. I suggest trying Asian grocery stores for starch, as they usually carry all sorts.
        I must confess that I often use potato starch. In my experience "starch is starch" in terms of stiffening properties, but potato starch tends to be less itchy.

        -Katherine