Winter Wardrobe WAS Greetings!

  • Kerri Martinsen
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 21, 2005
      On 12/21/05 5:59 PM, "Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com"
      <Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      > Message: 1
      > Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 14:08:39 -0800
      > From: Cynthia J Ley <cley@...>
      > Subject: Re: Greetings!
      >
      >> I find myself in the unenviable position of being best-friends with
      >> the new
      >> Baroness of Caer Galen (Boulder, CO); ergo, I am the new baronial
      >> seamstress. She prefers tunics and cotehardies for garb. My
      >> question is
      >> this, is cotton flannel period for those types of garments? She is
      >> allergic
      >> to wool, so that is out as an option for winter garb.

      Layers are your friend -

      Start with a linen Chemise, or 5. You won't regret it, trust me.
      Linen or silk Kirtle next
      Linen or silk Cotehardie (or brocade even)

      If you make a hood to keep the back of her neck covered, she will be warmer.
      Don't forget her legs: Stockings or some kind of hose.

      On the cost of fabric:
      Linen - www.fabric-store.com $5-7/ yd
      Silk - www.silkconnection.com - spun silk taffeta $6/yd (good for top
      layer), silk broadcloth $8/yd. Both in white but dyes like a dream.

      Good luck!

      Vitha