Re: [Authentic_SCA] The Cotton Flannel Question

  • Heather Rose Jones
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 21, 2005
      On Dec 21, 2005, at 7:10 PM, Peri wrote:

      > According to http://library.thinkquest.org/5443/history.html (and
      > corroborated by several other archaeological sources), cotton has been
      > around as a fabric since at least 3000 BC. Granted, that was in
      > Pakistan. The cloth was, however, brought to Europe in 800 ad, and it
      > was found, by Columbus, being cultivated in the Bahamas in the 1400s.
      > Cotton was not MACHINE spun until the 17oos.

      Nobody is questioning whether cotton in some form was available --
      simply whether that form would be at all similar to modern cotton
      flannels.

      > In the 1700s, sheets of ice were packed in salt and wrapped in flannel
      > and stored underground to keep them frozen until Summer.
      > http://www.cbc.ca/kids/general/the-lab/history-of-invention/
      > fridge.html

      Keep in mind that the word "flannel" was used originally for the
      woolen cloth -- unless this source is specifically indicating cotton
      flannel, I'd assume that it was wool being used.

      > Finding out if it was used PRE-1700 could be an interesting quest!
      > Does anyone have any idea how it is made? It seems that it should be
      > much like felting, which IS period.

      Cotton flannel is basically a plain cotton tabby which has had a nap
      raised on it. It's the nap that makes it resemble the original
      woolen flannels.

      Tangwystyl
      --
      Heather Rose Jones