[OT] Re: top posting?

  • Lyle H. Gray
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 13, 2005
      On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, J. May wrote:

      > What is the deal about top posting?

      From http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html:

      Top-posting makes posts incomprehensible. Firstly: In normal
      conversations, one does not answer to something that has not
      yet been said. So it is unclear to reply to the top, whilst
      the original message is at the bottom. Secondly: In western
      society a book is normally read from top to bottom. Top-
      posting forces one to stray from this convention: Reading some
      at the top, skipping to the bottom to read the question, and
      going back to the top to continue. This annoyance increases
      even more than linear with the number of top-posts in the
      message. If someone replies to a thread and you forgot what
      the thread was all about, or that thread was incomplete for
      some reasons, it will be quite tiresome to rapidly understand
      what the thread was all about, due to bad posting and
      irrelevant text which has not been removed.

      > It appears to be the standard on the other lists I'm on,
      > including scholastic lists. I hate to shuffle through the
      > stuff I've already read to find anything new.

      It has, unfortunately, become standard in the email messages
      where I work, to the point that no one bothers removing any of
      the quoted messages from the bottom of the email (top-posting and
      failure to trim messages seem to go hand-in-hand). It can lead
      to a message that is over 40 KB in size with a single line of
      additional material.

      Also, top-posting can really screw up the ability to read
      messages when they are part of a digest of several messages.

      One additional note: If the moderator says that you should use
      in-line or bottom posting, then you should probably use in-line
      or bottom posting.

      Regards,
      Lyle FitzWilliam

      --