RE: [Authentic_SCA] Fulling gabardine

  • J. May
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 12, 2005
      Or-- try a detergent that changes the pH like Ivory soap does. Don't use
      Ivory soap in the washer- it's a high suds product in a low suds machine.
      The foam growing out of the machine and covering the floor is only a slight
      exaggeration. :) Then use clean tennis balls in the dryer.

      With the Lycra, I would be suspicious that it's a superwash. Plus, Lycra
      will produce funky white "pills" when it's distressed.

      Try it with a smallish piece of the fabric first. There are a lot of
      variables that could make it disastrous.

      BTW- "Solvent" isn't a good word for the processes of felting. Wool is a
      protein fiber, or hair. If you take the example of the hair on our heads,
      holding it at the bottom and stroking up will feel "sticky", down is smooth.
      Wool is the same way. That "sticky" feeling is the scales on the hair that
      all point in one direction (think shampoo commercials). Changing the pH up
      to an alkaline (just like Ivory soap happens to be) opens up the scales so
      that they grab on to each other as they slide past. Heat encourages the
      process. Urine is alkaline, and easier to obtain that Ivory soap in period.
      :)

      Samia