Re: Pinstriped Wool and Striped Linen

  • m d b
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 12, 2005
      > Would these pieces work for Italian
      > Ren, fairly early in the period? (The bodice pattern I use makes a
      raised
      > waist that's about 1" above my natural waist.) I have some red
      wool scraps
      > that could trim the gray.

      I've spotted, had spotted and shown to me three paintigns with fine
      stiped dress. Two were Italian, late 16thC and one was English same
      time frame. I'll just see if I can find them again...

      Copying from previous comments and emails:
      There is a portrait of three children by Sofonisba Anguisola, the two
      girls wear nearly matching dresses made from a vertical striped
      fabric (perhpas horizontally striped laid sideways, you can do this
      for children's dresses due to their height.)
      http://www.corsham-court.co.uk/Pictures/Gaddi.html The picture is a
      lot bigger than it appears. Save it and it will be 1770X1190

      Ijust spotted in a book at the library today a few more children's
      dress in a vertically striped fabric. It is of Lord Cobham and his
      family.

      The three girls are wearing dark fabric with pale stripes.
      http://www.tudor-portraits.com/Various_4.htm
      http://www.tudor-portraits.com/WilliamBrooke.jpg

      http://www.livejournal.com/users/aclisto/81360.html
      SO Bella has a couple more stripes on her site as well.

      Also, I have some coating wool that I plan to use
      > for a 12th century gown. Would it be too terribly hot to wear
      indoors? The
      > goal was a warm gown for outdoor events in the fall and early
      spring, but
      > could it be an indoor gown in the winter?

      It depends on your wool, what you line it with and where you are:) I
      have been wearigna wool gauze lined in linen recently and it's been
      too hot to wear because of the mugginess. Yet in similar temperatures
      but a dry climate I can even wear blanket wool if it's lined with
      linen!

      It's probably fine for the purposes you are going to use it for:)

      Willemyne van Nymegen
      http://glittersweet.com