illustration of um, men's undies (and short coats)

  • Terri Morgan
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 11, 2005
      It's amazing what one reads on unrelated email lists. In a discussion about
      today's Saints of the Day, a poster brought our attention to this church:

      "Sicily's cathedral of San Nicolò at Nicosia. . .
      But most noteworthy about this church (an Italian
      national monument since 1940) are the recently
      restored paintings, dated to the middle of the
      fifteenth century, that cover the interior of its
      wooden roof. Some detail views follow:
      http://sicilyweb.com/foto/458/458-01-37-10-9227.jpg
      http://sicilyweb.com/foto/458/458-01-36-51-3256.jpg
      http://sicilyweb.com/foto/458/458-01-36-25-4871.jpg
      . . . An Italian-language site on this roof is here:
      http://www.cormorano.net/nicosia/tettoligneo/index.html
      Click on "Le Immagini" for a series of isolated views of
      mostly) single details, many not among the ones reproduced
      above."

      I thought those who make garb from that time period for gentlemen may be
      interested in the button and ties shown so clearly on the painting of the
      two wrestling men. (I was also tickled by the alphabet illustrated. What a
      great way to distract a young child during services!)

      Hrothny