Looking for a blackwork picture...

  • Kelley
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 8, 2005
      I was looking through some files, photos or what-have-you on one of the
      garb listservs I'm on the other day. I saw someone's lovely example of
      her blackwork and an up-close picture of an oakleaf design - I think
      there were acorns with it. I've spent two days searching and can't
      seem to find it again. Does anyone know where it might be or have you
      run across it?

      The pattern was very appealing and looked simple enough for me to start
      with. I would like to find it again. One of the pictures alongside
      this one was of the woman who did the work in her embroidered garb, I
      believe. It's all a memory now...

      Assistance in finding it is appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Cate
    • Apollonia Voss
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 8, 2005
        I seem to recall that there may be an acorn embroidery
        pattern in _A Scholehouse for the Needle_ (I'm probaly not
        spelling it correctly.)

        Want me to look?

        ~A
        Apollonia Voss
      • Chris Laning
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 8, 2005
          At 2:58 PM +0000 12/8/05, Kelley wrote:
          >I was looking through some files, photos or what-have-you on one of the
          >garb listservs I'm on the other day. I saw someone's lovely example of
          >her blackwork and an up-close picture of an oakleaf design - I think
          >there were acorns with it. I've spent two days searching and can't
          >seem to find it again. Does anyone know where it might be or have you
          >run across it?
          >
          >The pattern was very appealing and looked simple enough for me to start
          >with. I would like to find it again. One of the pictures alongside
          >this one was of the woman who did the work in her embroidered garb, I
          >believe. It's all a memory now...

          I can think of two or three acorn-and-leaf patterns that might be the
          one you're thinking of. Some are authentic 16th-century patterns;
          others are modern.

          There's a nice one online at: http://www.blackworkarchives.com/ in
          the "Fruits and flowers" section, but as the author, Paula Marmor,
          carefully explains, "These patterns are inspired by historical
          needlework of sixteenth and seventeenth century England, but they are
          all [my] original designs." There's another leaves-and-acorns pattern
          on the same site under "Seasons."

          I'll scan a couple of the period ones and put them in an "Oak Leaves"
          folder in this group's Files section if there's room -- give me a day
          or so.

          O (Lady) Christian de Holacombe , Shire of Windy Meads
          + Chris Laning <claning@...>
        • borderlands15213
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 9, 2005
            Is this the oakleaf and acorn piece you are looking for?
            http://f6.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/4I2ZQyvDw6-
            Y_x2HdiH0MlMjkpauLT1iIIuvrRRexfe9KX4tGVzYs67S2jcQwMLO0Iml-
            pBhm_nzppChgxAbHZ3b1W-yO59iEYwPnKI/Liadain%27s%20New%
            20Stuff/grncuff.jpg

            I know you'll have to cut and paste. If it's at all possible,
            perhaps some lovely, kindly, computer-literate person on this list
            will be good enough to do the "tiny url" thing for me (who doesn't
            know how... portions of my brain really ARE anachronistic >hangs
            head<)

            Yseult the Gentle

            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Kelley" <kelley_rambo@a...>
            wrote:
            I saw someone's lovely example of
            > her blackwork and an up-close picture of an oakleaf design - I
            think
            > there were acorns with it. I've spent two days searching and can't
            > seem to find it again. <<<snipped>>>
            >
            > Assistance in finding it is appreciated.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Cate

          • Anna Serre
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 9, 2005
              Here you go: http://tinyurl.com/8ygg4

              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "borderlands15213"
              <borderlands15213@y...> wrote:

              > Is this the oakleaf and acorn piece you are looking for?
              > http://f6.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/4I2ZQyvDw6-
              > Y_x2HdiH0MlMjkpauLT1iIIuvrRRexfe9KX4tGVzYs67S2jcQwMLO0Iml-
              > pBhm_nzppChgxAbHZ3b1W-yO59iEYwPnKI/Liadain%27s%20New%
              > 20Stuff/grncuff.jpg
              >
              > I know you'll have to cut and paste. If it's at all possible,
              > perhaps some lovely, kindly, computer-literate person on this list
              > will be good enough to do the "tiny url" thing for me (who doesn't
              > know how... portions of my brain really ARE anachronistic >hangs
              > head<)
              >
              > Yseult the Gentle

            • Kelley
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 9, 2005
                I don't think it was the exact picture I saw, but it might be nice to
                see....

                Thanks,
                Cate

                --- "Apollonia Voss" wrote:

                > I seem to recall that there may be an acorn embroidery
                > pattern in _A Scholehouse for the Needle_ (I'm probaly not
                > spelling it correctly.)
                >
                > Want me to look?

              • Kelley
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 9, 2005
                  There's a nice one online at: http://www.blackworkarchives.com/ in
                  > the "Fruits and flowers" section, but as the author, Paula Marmor,
                  > carefully explains, "These patterns are inspired by historical
                  > needlework of sixteenth and seventeenth century England, but they are
                  >
                  > O (Lady) Christian de Holacombe , Shire of Windy Meads

                  Thank you. I've looked through Ms. Marmor's and it wasn't the one I
                  saw. But others may appreciate the link.

                  Kindly,
                  Cate
                • sue_clemenger
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 9, 2005
                    Hi, Cate.
                    I can think of a couple of possibilities for this pattern, but I
                    don't know of any links to online shots.
                    1. There's an acorn-and-oak leaf pattern in, I think, the Bostocke
                    sampler. Many, many years ago, someone did an article on blackwork
                    that was published in _TI_, and I remember seeing it in there. I
                    actually worked with it a little. A very simple, linear pattern,
                    IIRC.
                    2. There's a really nifty shift detailed on p. 224 in _Queen
                    Elizabeth's Wardrobe Unlocked_, dated c 1560-1580, which has a plain,
                    square neckline and fairly narrow, straight sleeves. The sleeves are
                    embroidered with lines of acorns and oak leaves. There's some sort
                    of line of embroidery around the neckline, but I can't tell what it
                    is. There is, however, a *very* nice closeup of the design for the
                    sleeves
                    3. There are also a couple of acorn-and-oak-leaf patterns in _New
                    Carolingian Modelbook_.

                    The pattern from the Bostocke sampler would definitely be easy enough
                    for a beginner to do. I was a beginner when I did it <g>, although I
                    did take the time to play with it on graph paper first.

                    --Maire, certified blackwork geek ;o)

                    wrote:

                    > I was looking through some files, photos or what-have-you on one of
                    the
                    > garb listservs I'm on the other day. I saw someone's lovely
                    example of
                    > her blackwork and an up-close picture of an oakleaf design - I
                    think
                    > there were acorns with it. I've spent two days searching and can't
                    > seem to find it again. Does anyone know where it might be or have
                    you
                    > run across it?
                    >
                    > The pattern was very appealing and looked simple enough for me to
                    start
                    > with. I would like to find it again. One of the pictures
                    alongside
                    > this one was of the woman who did the work in her embroidered garb,
                    > believe. It's all a memory now...
                    >
                    > Assistance in finding it is appreciated.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Cate

                  • Susan B. Farmer
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 9, 2005
                      Quoting Anna Serre <larougemonte@...>:

                      > Here you go: http://tinyurl.com/8ygg4
                      >
                      > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "borderlands15213"
                      > <borderlands15213@y...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> Is this the oakleaf and acorn piece you are looking for?
                      >> http://f6.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/4I2ZQyvDw6-
                      >> Y_x2HdiH0MlMjkpauLT1iIIuvrRRexfe9KX4tGVzYs67S2jcQwMLO0Iml-
                      >> pBhm_nzppChgxAbHZ3b1W-yO59iEYwPnKI/Liadain%27s%20New%
                      >> 20Stuff/grncuff.jpg

                      I"m not able to bring it up at all. :-( Can you tell me which
                      group the image is in -- and whether it's in Files or Photos?

                      Jerusha
                      -----
                      Susan Farmer
                      sfarmer@...
                      University of Tennessee
                    • borderlands15213
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 10, 2005
                        Apologies, Jerusha; I should have said that this link is to one of
                        the example's of Liadain's work, and is actually on the SCA-Garb
                        list. It's in that list's files section under "Liadain."
                        The tiny url which Anna Serre graciously provided worked when she
                        first posted it, but I tried it just now and got a "Page Can Not Be
                        Found" message.

                        Yseult the Gentle

                        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Susan B. Farmer"
                        <sfarmer@g...> wrote:

                        > Quoting Anna Serre <larougemonte@y...>:
                        >
                        > > Here you go: http://tinyurl.com/8ygg4
                        > >
                        > > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "borderlands15213"
                        > > <borderlands15213@y...> wrote:
                        > >>
                        > >> Is this the oakleaf and acorn piece you are looking for?
                        > >> http://f6.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/4I2ZQyvDw6-
                        > >> Y_x2HdiH0MlMjkpauLT1iIIuvrRRexfe9KX4tGVzYs67S2jcQwMLO0Iml-
                        > >> pBhm_nzppChgxAbHZ3b1W-yO59iEYwPnKI/Liadain%27s%20New%
                        > >> 20Stuff/grncuff.jpg
                        >
                        > I"m not able to bring it up at all. :-( Can you tell me which
                        > group the image is in -- and whether it's in Files or Photos?
                        >
                        > Jerusha
                        > -----
                        > Susan Farmer
                        > sfarmer@g...
                        > University of Tennessee
                        > Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology

                      • Susan Farmer
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 10, 2005
                          <borderlands15213@y...> wrote:

                          > Apologies, Jerusha; I should have said that this link is to one of
                          > the example's of Liadain's work, and is actually on the SCA-Garb
                          > list. It's in that list's files section under "Liadain."
                          > The tiny url which Anna Serre graciously provided worked when she
                          > first posted it, but I tried it just now and got a "Page Can Not Be
                          > Found" message.

                          That's ok. Linking to something like that on yahoo can be trickey on
                          a *good* day! They're gorgeous, aren't they?

                          Jerusha
                        • Chris Laning
                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 12, 2005
                            I have _finally_ found and posted the oak leaf and acorn blackwork patterns that I promised a few days ago.

                            They are in this group's FILES section, in a folder called "Oak_Leaves". All except the vertical pattern are guaranteed authentic (they come from an excellent source) and I am fairly sure the vertical one is as well, though I no longer remember the source. I try very hard to weed modern adaptations and modern patterns out of my "authentic patterns" folder.

                            None of them may be _the_ pattern that the original searcher was looking for, but they are suggestions, anyway, and perhaps some of them may be useful. (Some will clearly be easier than others.)

                            Hope this is helpful,
                            (Lady) Christian de Holacombe
                            Windy Meads, West Kingdom

                            0 Chris Laning
                            | <claning@...>
                            + Davis, California
                          • Kelley
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 14, 2005
                              Chris -

                              The patterns are great. Thank you so much for posting them. The one
                              looks similar to what I remember.

                              Thank you again!

                              Cate
                            • Kelley