Re: toilet paper reference? History Channel today

  • wodeford
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 7, 2005
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Keyser" <NINacide@a...> wrote:

      > The History Channel says that a Ming Emperor ordered toilet paper to
      > be made for him and some of his higher-ups. His was extra special
      > though. It was yellow, perfumed, and 3 feet wide.

      As I've begun studying early Japan, I've encountered a rule of thumb
      that if the Japanese had it, the Chinese probably had it first.

      China supposedly had paper technology since about 100 CE.
      http://www.computersmiths.com/chineseinvention/paper.htm

      The illustrations show paper being produced in large sheets, and are
      consistent with what I've seen on Japanese paper production. Large
      sheets can, of course, be cut down to useful sizes....

      http://www.toiletpaperworld.com/tpw/encyclopedia/navigation/funfacts.htm
      dates the Emperor's toilet paper to 1391 CE.

      Toilet tissue as we know it was first marketed in the 19th century.

      Jehanne de Wodeford, West
    • Cynthia J Ley
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 8, 2005
        > > [Of traitors.....]
        > > Said the King, "for I have a use for them at the moment.
        > > But they are just like bits of rag:
        > > Once you have had your use of them,
        > > You throw them in the latrines."
        > >
        > > Dist li Reis, "c'est ore un porchaz,
        > > Qu'il est d'els comme de torchaz:
        > > Quant I'om en a faite s'ouvraingne,
        > > Sil jete l'om en la longaingne."
        > >
        > > The History of William Marshall v2
        > > (from line 12697) written early 13th C, but speaking of late 12th
        > events.
        > >
        > > So opinions? Is that a literal translation from the old
        > anglo-norman
        > > french? Is he reffering to toilet paper rags, or to other
        > household
        > > rags, which surely would be of use to papermakers (or perhaps we
        > are
        > > we too early for that), or various other industries.
        > >
        > > what do you think?
        > > Teffania

        My guess would be that the "rags" were fabric scraps too small to be
        useful for anything else. Bits of worn out tunic, etc. I would think it's
        too early for paper.

        Sure beats cleaning your bum with a bunch of leaves, though. :)

        Arlys
      • NINacide@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 8, 2005
          MODERATOR'S NOTE - PLEASE SIGN YOUR POSTS! THANK YOU.

          leaves? try pine cones... hehe.