RE: [Authentic_SCA] Re: toilet paper reference? History Channel today

  • Jessica
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 6, 2005
      What program? Did they say which Ming Emperor?

      Who says that the rear end has to stink?

      Findabhair

      _____

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 7, 2005
        Three feet wide? Was this stuff being used as seat covers?

        Yseult

        [mailto:Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com]
        > On Behalf Of Mike Keyser
        <<<snipped>>>

      • NINacide@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 7, 2005
          sorry, when it comes to remembering names, I'm the worst. I'm sure they'll
          show the show again. You'll know it when you see it because it basically
          says that every great invention that came out of Europe was predated by
          thousands of years by the chinese. And I think the 3 feet wide part had something to
          do with the manufacturing process that they had back them caused them to
          make wider sheets and in our case those sheets would seem to be overkill. But
          I'm sure if he wanted to tear off a 6 by 6 inch part of the 3 foot wide
          tapestry o' TP, he could.

        • wodeford
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 7, 2005
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Keyser" <NINacide@a...> wrote:

            > The History Channel says that a Ming Emperor ordered toilet paper to
            > be made for him and some of his higher-ups. His was extra special
            > though. It was yellow, perfumed, and 3 feet wide.

            As I've begun studying early Japan, I've encountered a rule of thumb
            that if the Japanese had it, the Chinese probably had it first.

            China supposedly had paper technology since about 100 CE.
            http://www.computersmiths.com/chineseinvention/paper.htm

            The illustrations show paper being produced in large sheets, and are
            consistent with what I've seen on Japanese paper production. Large
            sheets can, of course, be cut down to useful sizes....

            http://www.toiletpaperworld.com/tpw/encyclopedia/navigation/funfacts.htm
            dates the Emperor's toilet paper to 1391 CE.

            Toilet tissue as we know it was first marketed in the 19th century.

            Jehanne de Wodeford, West
          • Cynthia J Ley
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 8, 2005
              > > [Of traitors.....]
              > > Said the King, "for I have a use for them at the moment.
              > > But they are just like bits of rag:
              > > Once you have had your use of them,
              > > You throw them in the latrines."
              > >
              > > Dist li Reis, "c'est ore un porchaz,
              > > Qu'il est d'els comme de torchaz:
              > > Quant I'om en a faite s'ouvraingne,
              > > Sil jete l'om en la longaingne."
              > >
              > > The History of William Marshall v2
              > > (from line 12697) written early 13th C, but speaking of late 12th
              > events.
              > >
              > > So opinions? Is that a literal translation from the old
              > anglo-norman
              > > french? Is he reffering to toilet paper rags, or to other
              > household
              > > rags, which surely would be of use to papermakers (or perhaps we
              > are
              > > we too early for that), or various other industries.
              > >
              > > what do you think?
              > > Teffania

              My guess would be that the "rags" were fabric scraps too small to be
              useful for anything else. Bits of worn out tunic, etc. I would think it's
              too early for paper.

              Sure beats cleaning your bum with a bunch of leaves, though. :)

              Arlys
            • NINacide@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 8, 2005
                MODERATOR'S NOTE - PLEASE SIGN YOUR POSTS! THANK YOU.

                leaves? try pine cones... hehe.