Re: [Authentic_SCA] name origins

  • gedney@OPTONLINE.NET
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 6, 2005
      > Trying to document the origins of the name "Othon."

      Othon is a period variant of Otto.

      Duke Otto the great of Saxony (962-973) was also recorded as Othon

      Capt Elias
      Dragonship Haven, East
      (Stratford, CT, USA)

      -Renaissance Geek of the Cyber Seas

      - Help! I am being pecked to death by the Ducks of Dilletanteism!
      There are SO damn many more things I want to try in the SCA
      than I can possibly have time for. It's killing me!!!

      Upon the hempen tackle ship-boys climbing;
      Hear the shrill whistle which doth order give
      To sounds confused; behold the threaden sails,
      Borne with the invisible and creeping wind,
      Draw the huge bottoms through the furrow'd sea,
      Breasting the lofty surge: O, do but think
      You stand upon the ravage and behold
      A city on the inconstant billows dancing;
      For so appears this fleet majestical,
      Holding due course to Harfleur.
      - Shakespeare - Henry V, Act III, Prologue
    • Joannah Hansen
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 15, 2005
        OTTO - Teutonic - 'rich, prosperous'. St Otho ( d.1130 ) converted Pomerania to Christianity.
        variations - Odilon, Othello ( Italian ), Othes ( French ), Othi ( Gypsy ), Otho, Oton ( Spanish & Portuguese ), Otteran, Ottone ( Italian ), Otterino ( Italian ), Udo.

        from 'The Great Australian & New Zealand Book of Baby Names' by Cecily Dynes

        More info.

        Joannah